Logo

Mercruiser 4.3 Alpha - freeze out plugs

lpedward

I winterized my Merc 4.3 myself this year. I followed the 3 point manual drain instructions in the manual. I am now finding that the manual is incorrect and there are 5 drain points. (previous feed indicates others have had that problem) When I started it last week I found 4 freeze out plugs had pushed out (2 on each side). I have several questions:
1) Has anyone else had this problem and gotten any help from Mercury? It is a 2006 with 115 hours out of warranty.
2) What are the chances of the block being cracked? Before I go to the trouble of replacing the freeze out plugs - is there anyway to tell?
3) Is it possible to replace them without pulling the engine? I believe with a cherry picker I can secure the front of the engine to remove the motor mounts one at a time to replace the one behind it. I assume I will have to remove the starter which does not look too easy to replace the one behind it.
4) I drained the water plug in the front and the 2 on the sides toward to front - like the manual said - I believe I read there are 2 freeze out plugs in the front. I cannot see them anywhere. I assume they are behind some of the bracketing on the front. If there are 2 on the front can I assume they are alright since the front was drained?
5) Are there other types of freeze out plugs that install and expand by tightening? If it is determined I can replace them with out removing the engine - there is not a lot of room to tap them in.

Any advise or opinions are greatly appreciated. As you can tell I am in dire need of advice.

Sincerely, Larry Edwards

Larry:

You may be screwed. Merc. just used up their owner's manual stock. Unfortunately, they may not have included the updates on the 5 plugs w/the old manuals. Go to your dealer and bitch about what the manual says, 3 plugs, and what the engine has; 5 plugs. You may get some help. If not, consult your attorney.

Casting plugs not freeze out plugs. Try the bitchin to the dealer if it is true that the manual they gave you was incorrect, then you do have a leg to stand on.

They say no then call the regional rep. he might help, keep going up the line but keep records of the day time and who you spoke with. Then the last step is a lawyer.

You could try and start it might be frozen the motor. If it is then it's just not the casting plugs anymore.

You could pull the motor first you have to pull the drive. Then replace the plugs and then pickle the motor. Let it sit a day or 2. Then drain the crankcase.

Then try turning the motor.

My guess when you pull the intake the valley will be cracked. Or you may have a crack next to the plugs. or a crack in the internal water jacket, maybe in the piston wall.

Hope not.

Good luck let us know what you find and we can go form there to get you back on the water.

Back