Logo

2002 F 115 hp TXRA power loss, won't go above 2300 rpm under load

pullinin

i have a 2002 F115 that had a power loss on my last outing and won't go above 2300 rpms. At full throttle the motor boggs, almost a blowing noise. Will power up to 2300 and idles. The past few outings, i noticed the boat didn't want to idle after trolling for a long period and aftere running it hard. any suggestions on where to start. i am thinking the vst filter, does anyone have another place to look? thanks.

Re: 2002 F115 TXRA power loss, won't go above 2300 rpm under load

Filter, and run some injector cleaner through it, and change the spark plugs.

You and tritonman are probably right, but you may want to check the compression too.

i forgot to mention that prior to the power loss, the motor would stumble and surge when going through the channel at lower rpms, not when going out but when comin in after running the motor all day trolling. How do i know if the fuel pump is bad? if there is a bad fuel pump which one would it be? There's one in the VST, a low pressure one and one on top of the fuel rail maybe? i replaced the screen on the fuel pump in the VST last season and it ran great. i have maybe 200 hours on the motor since then and about 2500 total.

your making oil, causes the valves to float

these motors do not troll!!!!

you need to run it hard the last 10 mins of use

OK, Thanks JIT

So what is your take on the problem and the solution. What do i need to check and or replace. There is not certified guy on Kauai and i am having to wait for a guy to come from the big island with his YDS. i would rather not wait and get back on the water but i am not sure where to start. i am making oil. i noticed that last time i checked my engine oil it smelled like fuel and the exhaust smells very rich at times. Normally, i do run it hard coming in (up to 4000 rpms) and it runs great, but sometimes it is too rough. The motor doesn't seem to want to idle or run at lower rpms after running hard.

i finally have a tech coming this weekend. What is causing the motor to make oil? It was doing the same thing last year and when i replaced the thermostat it seemed to take care of it for a while but now it is acting up again. i will see what the tech comes up with. he is supposed to have a diagnostice hook up.

t-stat
under/over propped
bad fuel pump
bad valves adjustment
not running hard

heck, flights from usa are only 199 now

next time tell me and i will fly out, i have that time share at the Marriott i can use!!!

Hey fellas, I have a new problem here, (mor like a puzzlin one),.I have twin yami 115 4 strokes, port cranks but wont fire at all,..checking for spark next, there is one kill switch, (dual ignition switches) and one black sealed module behind the switch panel, suspect something there,..engine ran great, did a diagnosis back in march and saved it,..any suggestions?..checked wires, and fuses, no apparent problems there..

JIT i may take you up on that the next timei have issues. it is really a hassle not to have a service guy on the island. allright here's what the yds said: throttle position sensor failure and very low voltage reading at the battery. when turned over to start the crank was weak but started the motor. Eventually the voltage came up. The battery is less than six months old and the rect/reg i replaced last year. i don't usually turn off my battery switch between outings because i usually run the boat every couple of weeks. i guess i will start switching them off. The tech also said my thermostat was calibrated at 50 celsius and needed to more like 60 celsius. i have noticed that even after hours of running the water being pumped out is not that hot. Do they make different calibrations for t stats? My fuel/water seperator filter was very dirty as well. The filter on the fuel pump in the vst was clean. fuel pressure checked out as well. Changed the plugs, looked like it was burning rich. Compression was 175 across the board so he didn't mess with the valves. i had him change the impellar and he said there was oil on the drive shaft. i had noticed an oil rainbow in the water near the exhaust the last few times out. i guess i am due for a new oil pump. The motor ran well after putting back together. waiting to hear how the water test went.

i just heard back from the tech. He pressurized the low pressure fuel pump and said there is a hole in the diaphram. He says more than likely this is where the fuel is getting into the oil as well. Any problem just replacing the diaphram? Also, can you rebuild the oil pump by replacing the seals or do i need to replace the entire assembly? Where can i order this stuff online? JIT who do you get your parts from?Lastly, he seems to think the prop is overpitched, what should it be pitched at? Mostly, i troll and it is usually too rough to run it wide open or above 4000rpms. i have a composite prop that is adjustable so i should be able to change it without much difficulty.

i got my parts from my buddies yami shop

replace the pump, thats where the gas is getting in oil

JIT-- i assume you are referring to the fuel pump. i am going to replace the entire assembly not just the diaphram. What about the oil pump, should i just replace the entire pump or can i do the seals? What's your opinion on that? Lastly the prop question i am wondering what the correct pitch is. The boat is an edgewater 19' primarily used for trolling, i usually carry about 300lbs of ice and another 200 lbs of assorted gear. i haven't thought about the prop much but the tech said it didn't want to go above 5000 WOT on the water test, he said it should be more like 6000. Thanks.

Back