Logo

Bearing trouble

I have a 97' Bayliner with a 4 cylinder. Last summer we were using it and the oil plug fell out. (Yes was the the one who changed the oil) I pulled out the motor becaused it was locked up. I checked the main bearings and they were ok. It was still locked up. Next I pulled off #2 & 3 rods and they looked good with just a few marks on them. Next I pulled off #1 and it was pretty bad. Still locked up. Loosened #4 then the crank was free.
The bearing was pretty bad. The crank cleaned up ok. Once I got looking at the bearings 3 of them were std. and one was .025. Problem is they got mixed up so I don't know wich is which. I measured the journals and they are all within .008 of each other. Should I get std. bearings and plastigage each one or what. Any syuggestions?

If your drain plug fell out and you lost all of your oil, you should do a complete rebuild on that engine now that you have it out of the boat.
If you buggered up some rod bearings, then most likely there is more damage in the top end, as it would have lost lubrication first.

i'm curious what a master rebuild kit would cost? Add in the gasket set. Mani and riser.

Total cost hell don't pay to rebuild a 4cyl. 3.0l Head work boring chit i bet you can get a good running used motor off e-bay. Alot cheaper.

Or look around and find a bad hull boat or bad drive with a good motor and buy the whole shebang, i got a whole boat with trailer 400 bucks. All i wanted was the 140 hp in it.

Back