Logo

Electronic Distributors for 454s

jon_allen

Regular Contributor
Hi Gang,
A friend of mine is looking for new electronic (breakerless) distributors with mechanical advance for his 454 BBcs. Mallory offers several. I personally like the Unilites with the upgraded modules. Does anyone have any info on what might be the best choice. The motors are carbed and I would like to be able to change the advance weights/springs if need be to obtain maximum perf. I need distributors that will allow for these changes.

Thanks,
Jon Allen

The breakerless unilites are fine. Don't set the expectation too high for seeing any improvement with the cheange in the timing curve; the factory did pretty well on that one.

Hi Mark,

Mark, these motors aren't Crusaders and I don't have distributors for them. I do like the Mallory Unilite distributors with mechanical advance. Do you know what they are called? I've been to Mallory's website and it's not very helpful.

Thanks,
Jon

The distributors are specific to the brand name of the marinizer, just the OEM logo cast into the block.

One of the point variant is the YL624, I think. Andrew, our forum host can help. Go to the top of the page and click boat parts. scroll down a bit and click the Mallory catalog. I think it is ignition(+) and then distributors. It will show you the table. I know Mallory will provide it with the pickup (breakerless) option but can't give you the specifics. You can always call Andrew and he will order you anthing that his supply chain can provide. His prices are not always the cheapest but are competitive and his service is worth a premium. He has 'found' items for me in the past much quicker than others.

Hi Guys,
Thanks Again. My pal is going to follow up with Andrew's post. I'm going to be running 30 degrees total timing on these motors. Does anyone have any tips as to when the total dist. advance should come in? I realize that there are many scenarios here. Any relation to planing speed and secondary air valve operation on the Qjets?. This boat really needs diesels but I want to get the best perf. possible with what we have. Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Jon Allen

Trial and error will tell for sure, better to be too low than too high. Full advance can come in anywhere after 2800 rpm. If the setup will handle it, all in at cruise rpm would be good, on the primaries only. If you want economy, you want to delay the air valve opening as long as possible without leaning the engines. Without knowing what is in the engine, you'll have to experiment to find what works best.

Back