Logo

Evinrude XP150 Prop Suggestions

tgarton

I have a 1987 Ranger 375v with an Evinrude XP150 V6 motor that I want to replace the aluminum prop with a stainless steel prop.

Currently I have an aluminum 14 1/4" with 21" pitch. I am looking at a used 14 1/2" with a 20" pitch Raker.

Will I get the same speed and performance from the smaller pitch or do I need to go with a 21" Solas that would be about the same price? Also, would it be beneficial to go with maybe a 23" or is that to large for that heavy of a boat?

The Rakers are numbered at even numbers at pitches, the alu and SST etc at un-even numbers.
To replace with a raker, normally go DOWN to the even below what you have.
In your case, by theory, 20" Raker should fit. However it might depend on where in the RPM range you are, and you might have to lift your engine at the transom a couple of holes.

After looking at the current prop and running it over the weekend, it ends up that I actually have an old beaten up 14 1/2"x21" OMC SST prop. The RPM's are only turning close to 4700RPM's.

What would be a good choice of props to start with to replace it with?

The rpm's are low.
Would suggest to replace with an 19" SST or 18' Raker.
That should put you in the 5000+ rpm range.
Another solution might be to send your old prop to a prop shop, have it repaired and pitched down to 20". probably the cheapest way to give you an answer.

Back