Logo

AD41DP generator alarm

osprey oldman

Hi I'm Martyn and have just found your forum whilst trying to find an answer to a problem I have.

I know virtually nothing about engines, so apologies for my first post being a question!

Can any of you clever guys help me with this?
My boat's engine is a Volvo Penta AD41DP and is (touch wood) running well. But....
When I switch on the ignition, the warning lights come on, as they should, I wait a few seconds and the Electrical charging warning light then flashes and the alarm sounds telling me the generator is not charging, (how could it, the engine isn't running yet!) The voltmeter is showing 12 volts as it should.
Then I start the engine and the alarm stops, the warning light goes out and the voltmeter reads 14 volts as it should.
Once or twice the alarm has sounded and light come on when I'm travelling and using extra electrical power such as raising the tilt.

The electrician at the marina has checked it all, put in a new battery, and can find nothing wrong. He suggests a new alternator, but that is going to be expensive and I think he is just guessing.

Has anyone got any ideas please?

Martyn

Hey Martyn,

could be a loose connection or corrosion on the terminals, check both back side of the alternator, and behind the instrument panel.

Have you checked your batteries? Maybe initial warning is because they are weak

Thanks for that Stringer.
I think I do need to check those batteries. Although quite new, the very cold winter may have given them a pounding!

Will also check for corrosion. good point!
Thanks
Martyn

Several years ago we experienced alternator warning light and guage failure. We found the ground wire leading from the alternator to the engine disconnected. Re-connected using, "Thread Tite" on bolt.

Excellent reference book on testing batterys and maintaining diesel engines: Neil Calder's (UK)

Good luck!

Back