Logo

Seaking 15hp motor problem

Scott-KS

I have a Sea King 15 hp. Just tried to run the motor and it only took the second pull to get started but it reved up real high even in start. I had to put it on slow to get it to go down. Then it died and I couldn't ever get it started again. After a while I noticed I didn't open the vent on the fuel tank so I'm sure that might be the problem. Now I've tried several times for a couple days and can't get it to go. Any ideas? Thanks.

Need a model number because the 15 was made by Gale (1960-1963) and Chrysler(1974-1985). Different motors, different causes.

Finally got it to fire up today but when it starts still revs up really high. I can't seem to find neutral. It just revs up til I have to kill it every time. Any ideas?

Check the throttle linkage for binding, broken or missing parts. Check that the throttle plate is actually moving and not stuck open. With the motor off rotate the prop and move the shift lever until the prop spins freely without trying to turn the engine over. If you can't find a spot that works then it is time to tear the lower unit down to see what is not working. May be that the shift lever has come off the shift shaft or rod. By the way your motor is a 1979 model built by Chrysler.

This might be a stupid question, You are starting it in water aren't you?? Remove and clean the carb. Replace the needle & seat.

Yeah sure was. Going to try and clean the carb. I noticed that it didn't have an air cleaner, could this be causing it to keep reving higher from giving it too much air? The throttle linkage looks ok it moves full range from slow to fast, still could be lubricated a bit. As for the shift linkage I can get it into all the positions so thats working fine. I need to find out where the mixture screw needs to be set at so I can check that. When I start it, it takes off reving high, but when you throttle down to slow it keeps slowing down until it dies.

Last edited:
mixter screws should be screwed in all the way and back it out 1 and a half turns, start your engine and idle it to the lowest setting with trottle start turning your screw in until it burps are back fires then screw it out a quarter then your best setting will be in that quarter some where

Back