Logo

me&motor only hitting on one cyl...

longkey

have johnson 40hp.mod#rkl265-ser#2413557.found many short/grounded wires.done. started twice and ran smooth.sat a while.went to start and puff of smoke.think solenoid fried. friend put spark tester on both wires, no spark in lower cyl.did i burn points or maybe the vacuum switch is hot and killing cyl.will replace solenoid and need to replace worn gen. belt so top must come off.with key on, should cutout vacuum switch be hot or not? wont crank with key so sol. is probably toast. ideas? thank you all.

1964 40hp Johnson..... Vaccum switch has no voltage being applied to it. It simply shorts out one set of points if need be via crankcase vaccum to avoid a runaway engine scenario.

Use a proper three bolt type puller to remove flywheel.... and upon reinstalling the flywheel, be sure (absolutely sure) to torque the flywheel nut to 105 foot pounds, anything less will result in a sheared flywheel key.

Check coils for cracks, clean and set points if usable.... if not, replace points and condensers. Set points as follows.

(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubber portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.
NOTE: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:
http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

Use Champion J4C or J6C plugs, gapped at .030

If armature plate wobbles, this would cause the points to change gap settings as the throttle is advanced. To correct this type problem, see the following.

(Magneto Armature Plate)
(J. Reeves)

If the armature plate has a a loose fitting, wobbling motion (the plate that the points, coils etc are attached to), it is usually caused by a slightly worn support ring. This allows the point setting to change erratically as the armature plate turns.

The cure is to remove the armature plate so that the support which is attached to the powerhead with 4 screws is visible. Then, with a screwdriver and hammer, or some tool of your choosing, and looking straight down at the support ring, make an indentation at what would be called the 12, 3, 6, and 9 O'clock positions. Install the armature plate and check for a smooth turning wobble free movement.
You may need to do that procedure a few times to obtain the proper fit (not too tight, not too loose), but it's worth the effort.

Use a small amount of anti corrosive grease between the aluminum ring and the brass support plate and also on the brass bushing of the armature plate when all is well.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:
http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

If you're unsure of what you're doing pertaining to the wiring, do nothing until you have the manual and wiring diagram...... applying voltage to the wrong wire is usually an expensive experience.

thank you, somone finally replied. i had fire in both cyl. before, now only upper. thats why i asked about cut out switch. i havent done wiring except replace fused toghether or broken insulation.im going to remove and rewire power box that has sol. and fuses etc. bad shape anyway. i have clymer book but its a vague piece of crap.worked on big trucks and hvy. eguip. for years so no dummie. can i rent a puller or will jentle prying get flywheel off? just a tapered shaft with woodruff key that i will replace. ideas?

DO NOT attempt to pry flywheel off OR use a puller that simply grabs the edges of the flywheel. The trhe (3) boly type puller is available at any reliable automotive parts type store and is quite reasonable in price..... cheaper than renting one if that was possible.

The flywheel, being torqued to the specified 105 foot pounds has it jammed quite tight against the flywheel taper.

Back