Logo

'1997 Y. 150hp ProV No power to ignition or Tilt

MN Skeeter

I just put the batteries back in my Skeeter bass boat after the long winter. Hooked up the starter battery and the control panel switches all work (same battery but different connection), but there is no power to the starter or the trim/tilt. Any ideas? Also, in the event that I have to tow it to a dealer I am concerned about trailering the boat with the motor trimmed all the way down. I am worried that this could put unsafe stress on the transom and that the motor could be damaged if it "bottoms out" bouncing on the highway. Is there any way to get that motor trimmed up w/o power? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: '97 Y. 150 ProV No power to ignition or Tilt

You double-checked all your connections? It would be too coincidental that the tilt/trim and the starter both went out. I'm guessing (1)they are connected to the other battery, or (2)that you have a bad cable connection. Hit both ends of the + and the - cables with some crocus cloth and rough them up a little and try again.

Usually the dash stuff is connected to a different battery than the starter battery, I think that is your most obvious fix.

Thanks to both who responded. I had the same thoughts. Checked all the fuses. Checked and cleaned the connection @ the starter battery. Now find that the trim switch will work from the front console. So I am thinking problem is in the starter switch itself. I made an appt. to bring it in, so can follow up as to what they find out. I was worried about how to trailer it w/o being able to tile the motor up, but can do that with use of the front console switch. So will know more after bring it in next week. Thanks again, appreciate the comments.

There may also be inline fuses that are corroded up, had this problem with friends boat.

Long delay in getting back on this thread and answering the mystery. Truth is I forgot once I got the problem resolved. I was bringing it to the dealer anyway for an unrelated problem, and they found the answer with little problem. It was a blown in-line fuse (20 amp) which is under the engine cover. I did look there, but didn't see this in-line fuse. So, several of you were right, and thanks for your help. I've now got some 20 amp fuses in the boat. Would hate to have this problem on the water. Thanks!!!

Hello,
I dug this thread up on a google search as I am having the same problem on what I assume is a similar boat (Skeeter bass boat w/ Pro V 150 Yamaha, although mine's a 1989). Put the batteries in and I have power at the voltage gauge on the dash, but when you turn the ignition on the the other gauges (rpm, trim, fuel) aren't coming on like they should, the power tilt doesn't work and the starter isn't turning over. All the accessories (even the jack plate) are getting power but nothing seems to be going to the engine. I'm even more confused because the multi meter is showing 12 volts at the starter. It sounds like these in-line fuses at the engine could be the answer but I can't find them. Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Steven

Back