Logo

SBC Flywheel 1997 5.7 l

troym

Advanced Contributor
Getting ready to pull a '97 5.7L to replace the flywheel.
Having a hard time cross referencing the merc part number (222-9520001) to the GM part number. I'm pretty sure it's a 14", 168-tooth flywheel. Once I get the old one off, I'll know soon enough. Just want to be sure I have the right parts in my hand before I have the engine dangling from a tree branch.

Re: SBC Flywheel

To my knowledge, there are only two SBC flywheel sizes used in the marine world..... 168 and 153 tooth! Then you have early/late crankshaft flanges.
If the ring gear is gone, why not just replace the ring gear?
Any automotive machine shop can do this... in fact, if you have access to a torch, you can do this yourself. Just don't heat the gear to a red glow.

Ayuh,... If the Ring Gear is chewed up, there's No reason to replace the Flywheel...
You can buy just the Ring Gear from Napa, or any other auto parts house for less than $50...

Like Rick said,.. There's only 2 sizes, 153 tooth,+ 168 tooth...

Have a new flywhel and ring gear already. I plan on replacing the only the ring gear, then returning the flywheel. I just like being ready for the worst case. Don't want to have to stop work to run for parts. Both the ring gear and the flywheel I have are 14inch-168 tooth... any body have any idea how to make sure thats the right size? Before I start pulling the engine out?

I am fairly certain that you'll have the 168 tooth........ particularly if your starter motor uses the staggard bolt pattern.
The other would be the "in line" or "straight" across bolt patterns (153 tooth flwheel).

Would being prepared for a WCS involve having both "ring gears" at hand, and not necessarily a flywheel......? Flwheels rarely go bad, IMO!

Last edited:
Back