Logo

shift interrupter switch

If it does need to be replaced, that is simple.
However, if you do not understand the function that it provides (for a shift from gear into neutral), then you may have an issue with the adjustment!

I'm with the Doc...... what causes you to think it is bad?

Last edited:
last year put it in shop for shift cables, got it out went to the lake when I would give it full throttle it would "bog" down and backfire and almost die could not got above 1/4 throttle. Took it back to shop and had cables re-adjusted the mechanic said if it did it again to unplug the shift int. switch if it fixed the problem we need to replace it. it fixed the problem but I got sick and never put the boat in the water last year. now its boat season and thought i might try to fix it myself. any thoughts?

we would need to know your ign, system because the early type grounded the ign, and the later(electronic) suppies 12 to the system to create the stumble.The switch aids in coming out of gear only. I have a new one available with the mounting plate.

Give Doc your '98 Mercruiser 5.0L engine serial number! That will give him system information.
Then take two aspirin and call him in the morning! :D

Last edited:
Took it back to shop and had cables re-adjusted the mechanic said if it did it again to unplug the shift int. switch if it fixed the problem we need to replace it.

Ayuh,... You need a New Mechanic,... That guy is Full of it,.. The Switch is working Perfectly...
You still have a Cable problem, probably caused by this so called Mechanic...

Back