Logo

running one transmission in reverse

georgeviking

I have a 28' with twins after pulling motors and comparing to what I have I have two engines both turn left handed I have walter v-drives with velvet drive trannys the trannys are 1-1 ratio, I was told you could run one tranny in reverse ( flip ****er arm ) to get the counter rotation while going forward, is this a solid practice or should I start yanking my camshaft.

NO! You can reverse the rotation of the tranny and run it in forward, but the trans will burn out fast if IT'S run in reverse.

Jeff

I've never seen a twin engine boat delivered without the props counter rotating. Look at the props themselves and see if they are the same or different. If different, nothing is broken, leave it be.

I can't speak for the Velvet V-Drives; but I have ZR Hurth straight drive adn one runs in reverse by adjusting the gear arm. It's made to run that way. I would check with yoru manufacturer to verify how the tranny can be set up; I agree with fastjeff, you don't want to ruin a tranny. I can say this all twins usually have counter rotating props; I can say that a few years back, I did look at buying a boat and both outdrives with clockwise; I did not agree with the broker then that they were meant to run that way unless you want to trail portside in reverse. G'Luck!

the boat does have counter rotating props the standard rotation engine (port) engested some salt water and is no good I have another counter rotating engine avail so I need to use that one I guess I have to switch the cam,lifters and starter
thanks for saving my tranny

Back