Logo

Help! Wrong coolant in 454

I just discovered I did something not so smart this weekend. In a hurry I put the wrong type of antifreeze mix in my 97 crusader 454 xli. i have briefly run the motor but have not let it come up to temp. what do i need to do? i just topped off with the bad stuff because the coolant level was just below fill.

new to the forum. thanks for the help in advance..

Prestone..but for "RV waterlines". Part water and part propylene glycol. Says not for gas engines. I put in approx 8-12 oz in one motor and 2-4 oz in the other one. The color is red. Previous color was green.

that's less than 1% of the total capacity - I'd be inclined to not worry about it. You could always call prestone tomorrow and ask if there are any possible side effects based on that quantity. Be interesting to hear their reponse.

That is what I was thinking. Also, this boat is new to me so just getting familiar with the motors. Does the fresh water cooling system continue to cycle or could there be a chance that the amount that I put in the reservoir is still confined to the tank?

If you put it in the "overflow" bottle, the coolant there will flow in and out of the heat exchanger but not very fast. I'd bet the bulk is still there and if you drained it and then reconnected there shouldn't be any issue.

A "degas" bottle will circulate its contents much faster.

I distinguish between them by the location (and usually the style) of the the pressure cap and the bottle. the degas bottle has the pressure cap on it. The overflow bottle is usually connected to the overflow on the heat exchanger where the pressure cap is.

Back