Logo

Vortec heads SBC 1987 350 Cu in

87concord

Regular Contributor
I have an '87 model Concord Magnum II With a 260 5.7. Will the exhaust manifolds work with Vortec heads from a '97 model truck engine??

Re: Vortec heads SBC 350 Cu in

i knew the intake needed changed, im just making sure i cover all the bases before i jump into this head first, thanks for the quick response!!

I'd look up your previous cylinder head casting numbers to see what chamber size they are/were. The Vortec are very likely 64cc chambers.

You are going to be very pleased with the new performance. I went from a standard 1994 5.7 4 barrel to a 2006 vortec with the same 4 barrel and the differance was night and day. The vortec heads flow much better and have lots more torque. I'm sure my highrise aluminum intake helped too.

Just to be clear.... What I'm suggesting here is this:
With the existing '87 engine, I'd be wanting to know which pistons were used.

Example:

Flat top pistons with the larger chamber old heads (??) vs the smaller 64cc Vortec chambers!
This may present C/R some issues for Marine use!

Dished pistons with the smaller chamber old heads vs the Vortec heads should be of no issue!

Point being..... I'd not arbitrarily change cylinder heads without first knowing several other specs!

Ricardo,
what brand/model number of piston would you use in this situation?
Well, not my turn to spend your money, but if I were going to fit the Vortec cylinder heads onto a would-be marine cruiser engine, I'd be looking at a variety of choices..... all of which would get me as far away from the full dish piston as I could get! :mad:

A Reverse Dome would be a good choice..... and/or a Low Compression Quench Style would be another good choice.
Any piston that offers the correct C/R, yet provides the Q/E that the marine SBC needs! Why not take advantage of that Vortec chamber??????

The selection would be finalized by the provider.... given the specs that you want to achieve, and your price range.

ordered my pistons today, got a set of forged flat tops from fed mogul, 9.72 CR with a 64cc chamber

I just looked at a calculator, and the FT piston w/ the Vortec 64cc chamber appears to render a 10.5:1 ratio.
That is high for a marine cruiser engine.
You may want to have them double check this for you.
Typically, you won't see the Flat Top used with the 64cc heads if being used for cruiser use.
A reverse dome or low compression quench would be a better choice, IMO.

Back