Logo

Rank Amatuer with an update on my project

field_trip

I am about done with the work I set out to do on my 1989 twin 270's. I have replaced the heads (found a great deal on Ebay), replaced the exhaust manifolds, risers, elbows, oil coolers, all hoses and belts, plugs etc.. cleaned up the intakes and heat exchangers, cleaned the carbs, replaced the alternators and some wiring along with a bunch of other smaller items. While disassembling the port engine I discovered that it did not have a thermostat in it. When I removed the transmission oil cooler on that engine I found out why.. there were 12 rather large individual chunks of impeller material stuffed into the thing. How any water got through the cooling system is beyond me.

In any event, I'm putting the boat in the water this Friday to see how she runs. This site has helped me tremendously. I have not had to post questions because I have been able to find the answers to my frequent questions by searching old posts, so thanks to everyone for the information. I now feel fairly confident that I can diagnose most problems on the water since I have been crawling around in the bildge for several months.

Bon voyage!!!

Gee, That's alot of work to get done and not bounce something off of someone...Good Luck, Hope it all works out. Certainly a good feeling when that happens

Boat ran great this weekend with the exception of a rocker arm nut that backed off and resulted in a noisy valve for a few seconds. Temperatures were even on both engines at around 160. Timing appeared to be right on. The center channel on the intake manifolds, which I think is straight exhaust, cooked my new paint job a bit on the intakes. A mechanic friend of mine told me that was going to happen. Other than that everything looks great. Oh, the valve covers all leaked a little bit of oil. I should have just replaced them rather than sand blast and repaint them. Oh well, is a minor thing. I think I'm going to replace all of the rocker arm nuts since that one backed off. They were all still fairly snug when I installed them except the one that loosened (which you can now turn by hand). I think new ones are a good insurance policy against that happening again. Removing a valve cover at sea, adjusting the valve and reinstalling the valve cover is a real pain. The hardest part was reinstalling the cover because it goes under cooling hoses and the stupid gasket won't stay in place. Doing this with hot manifolds, heads and intake creates a situation where I found myself using a moderate amount of profanity! All-in-all, everything went very well. Thanks again for the information on this board.

good job!

you can use rtv on the rocker covers w/o a gasket...just don't squeeze too much out when you install them. i just put the screws in and then snug them up after the RTV cures.

After changing heads on my 270's last year I too developed loose rocker arms. Ended up being that 2 of the pressed in studs pulled up some. Had to change them again. I was told this is very uncommon.

To keep from dropping the gasket, put all of the bolts through the cover and gasket, then lay in on the head.

To reduce leakage (with tin valve covers) turn them over and tap out the dimpled mounting holes with the ball end of a ball peen hammer. (That's what it's there for, incidentally.)

Jeff

Back