Logo

C.C.185 (283CID) reverse gear adjustment

Ned L

My understanding is that there are internal adjustments inside the mechanical C.C.185 (283) reverse gears for forward & reverse. Does anyone know of a good tutorial for the adjustment procedure, or could someone talk me through it?
I have that reverse gear on the back of a 350 CID in a Jersey speed skiff. These boats are a bit 'out of the norm.', so for now I'll just suggest giving them a quick google look up to see what they are. - The small block C.C. conversions have been used in these boats for close to 50 yrs now, so this is nothing new.
My problem is that the forward clutch is tightened so much (so it won't slip when wide open), that in neutral things are still in 'slow' forward, and in 'reverse' things stop turning. I'd like to correct that some so that i have some actual 'reverse'.
Thanks.

Just read your post. I also have an old Jersey Speed Skiff "project" I am beginning. I bought the boat and later picked up a CC 185 (283 CID). The engine was pulled out of a barn were it was for over 30 years. I have never done a project like this so a bit intimidated and will be probably be asking a lot of questions. Has a paragon trans that will need rebuilding
Sorry, not answering your question but would like to see a pic of you JS and who did (does) your engine work
mike t

I'd love to hear about your speed skiff project!

I actually have two speed skiffs. One, an antique wooden one, built in the late 1930's - early 1940's, one of the four oldest inboard speed skiffs still around. I've had her for 33 years now. I'm also in the middle of my second complete rebuild of her. She has a Graymarine 109 flathead six.

My real passion are the wood speed skiffs. I've been working for a number of years now to locate all the wood ones still in existance. I've got about 33 located, with leads on a few more.

My other skiff is a glass one I bought last spring. Built in 1969, and raced in 1970 as JS-66 "Mr. Illegal", she was National Champion that year. She's no show winner, a bit rough around the edges, but a lot of fun. She's the one with the 350 'crate engine'.

Here is my wooden one in the 1980's (in better days).

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Here is what I started with in 1977
ry%3D400

Here is my glass one. You can also see a picture of her racing in 1970 at
http://www.jerseyspeedskiffs.com/jssphoto.htm look for "Mr. Illegal"

ry%3D400

I'm planning on putting a 'traditional - typical' forward cockpit back in her this spring.

I live on the Toms River in NJ.... Back in the 80s, they used to race these on that river. At the time, I lived across the street from the river... Watching JS skiffs race there was a scary sight.

"Scary site", Yup that's them. They're sort of a love'm or hate'm kind of a thing.

So, No one is familiar with the clutch band adjustment in a C.C. reverse gear??

Ned: thanks for posting the pics.....too cool.

I just got some bonus $$$ so i will begin the project....I will let you know.

Engine rebuild should be interesting. Tore it down and I it seems none of the casting numbers make sense.

Plus it is a right rotation engine and manual paragon trans so I don't know if that is a mistake off the bat.

thanks again Mike T

Mike, Good luck with your project. I'd love to hear about your boat, any idea who built her & when? I know of one Bender skiff out your way in Michigan now that I actually used to ride in on the Jersey shore back in the early '80's (brownish metalic flake hull / white decks). I wonder how many are out there?
Ned

I will send you some pics....I bought it from a senior in Buffalo. i believe back in the day it was named "Foxy Lady" (God knows how many coats of paring are on it). My biggest concern right now is if the 283 + paragon manual trans I bought will fit!

Mike - check your 'private messages'. You should have no problem putting a 283 in her, she used to have a 305 with reverse gear. She was built in 1974 as I remember.

Back