Logo

Please help with 1997 yammy F 150 hp

HalfScoop

I just "inherited" a 1991 Trophy 20 that has a 1997 yamaha F150 on it, engine is a C150TXRV.

I know nothing about this motor except there is a sticky under the cover that shows which sparkplugs to use.

What is the best 2-stroke oil to use with it and in what ratio?

Any issues I should be aware of? The motor has 550 hours on it, but it has sat in storage for the last 2 years, and has not been started for that long.

The sparkplugs can be removed by hand with no tools, so I'm guessing they were fogged before it was put in storage.

Thanks for any information you can give!

HS

Re: Please help with 1997 yammy F150

Better put fogging oil in cylinder then turn over by hand

the fuel system will need to be cleaned

any TCW3 oil is fine

Good advice, thanks.
Trying to figure out how to drain the fuel tank, guess I will just siphon out what I can.

No batteries are currently in the boat, thank goodness. When I picked it up it had been in storage for a couple years, and the drain plug was not removed. There was water almost up to the bottom of the battery switch; about 500 gallons drained out when I removed the plug!

What lower unit lube does this outboard use? Might as well change that as well.

And what ratio for the premix? There is no separate tank for the oil, so I need to add it to the fuel tank. Even though the motor is a 1997, the Trophy it is on is a 1991

Another note, I could be mistaken on the oil tank issue. The boat is a 1991 and says 'Premix Fuel" on the gas cap. But the outboard is a 1997 and I just downloaded a service manual, looks like there might be an oil tank under the cowl, I'll have to check for that tonight!

Did this motor originally come with a separate oil tank? The shop manual refers to an 'oil pump", but mine has no oil tank that I can find. The boat is a 1991, and was repowered with the 1997 Yammy, so maybe the owner just kept using premix and did not connect an oil tank.

Not to hard but it is a 2 person job. buy the whole kit, it comes with new gaskets and housing. It is about 60 bucks but well worth the money since you don't know how the motor was taken care of.

Thanks for the advice on the kit.

One other question, I'm curious if it is related to the impeller.

I started the 150 outboard up today, first time I've started it. Ran it on muffs and it started just fine, but I got no water at all through the pee-hole, so I shut it down after about 45 seconds.

I disconnected the tube that runs from the block to the hole, and blew through it, it was clear. Other than the possibility of a bad impeller, anything else that might cause that?

I would check thermostats sence it set so long.They are probably corroded.You could back it in the water somewhere so you know it can get water if the pump is pumping.Your muffs may not be fitting properly.You still should replace the pump regardless.

I got the entire pump kit replaced, and then some.

Once I had it all apart, I realized the person who replaced the impeller last had chosen to take a cheap and dirty route to fix it. He simply epoxied the impeller housing to the big plastic housing, leaving out the 3 washers as well as the two compression fittings that sit on top of the 3 washers.

So I ended up having to buy the plastic pump housing, and the bushing that goes in it, which was missing as well.

The lack of the bushing at the water tube may be what was causing no water to come out the hole, I will check it out tonight. Just got the lower unit re-installed last night after spending $140 on genuine Yamaha parts.

Still could use some more help...

Got everything re-installed, but now I cannot get the 1997 C150 to start at all.
Lots of cranking power, plugs look a little wet when I took them out.

Cleaned the plugs all off, still no start.
What would you start looking at first? Remember, this is an outboard that has sat for 2 years, but it did start up pretty nicely when I first tried it about a week ago.

thanks in advance!

Back