Logo

5hp nissan water issue

JRIC13

I just bought a 5hp nissan ns5b,runs great the guy thought it was dead turned out the kill switch was all,anyway its been sitting about 4 years,i put it a bucket and got it started very little water flow out pee hole. pulled it down found small hole in waterpump lower case repaired it with jb weld put back together,still very weak steam,the impellor is turning i tested it with a cordless drill on driveshaft in bucket has pressure when i put my thumb over it,but its not making it to the weep hole,could it be blocked from sitting,and how does it the wat:confused:er tube come apart.
thanks for any help

Follow-up to last,other way meaning any solvent or wire to run thru the water tube,i spray cleaner thru from bottom, it just dribbles out of weep hole,im thinking the last owner put it away without flushing salt out, thanks again for any help

I guess its because when i dropped the lower unit,like i said in original post i repaired a hole in the lower water pump housing,i was told it just had a water pump put in,obviously the guy who did the work didnt tell him he pried on the case and broke it ,but after i repaired it i tested the pump with an electric drill on shaft and put in a bucket,plenty water pumping out of pumr,but if its not streaming out the weep hole,there must be a blockage,i assume anyway.

No, you can't assume that. The pee hole is just a visual indicator that the pump is pumping. If it isn't visible that only means that nothing is coming out the pee indicator. They clog up all the time. With the engine running in water stick a wire into the pee port and swish it around.

Sounds good i will do that in morning,offhand would you know appox.temp,i have a temp gun i could ck the temp while running just dont want to cook it. And thank you again for your help

Temp would vary depending on exactly where you pointed the gun. But, you don't need the gun for this. If it gets hot enough to where you loose skin when you touch the block then it is to hot. If it only gets hot enough for you to say ouch, you are fine.

Well tried the wire poking,with engine running just got hot exhaust coming thru no water,and the block gets very hot in no time,guess im pulling the pwer head next looking for blockage.

6 bolts, 10mm heads on them, quick job, not nearly as daunting as most think. You will want a new base gasket to reassemble. If you do find significant clogging, vinegar or other mild acid (plus time and patience) will help cut it for you.

However... Since you get hot exhaust through the pee tube, it would appear that at least some of the cooling passages are relatively clear -- enough for the exhaust to go through "backwards"... I suspect you will find that the water tube is fine, and likely will end up replacing the wp kit (not just the impeller -- gets the cup, plate, and gaskets), plus the wp housing lower, regardless of the appearance that the pump works OK on a drill motor. Those pumps actually put out a ton of water when working correctly. Be advised that these pumps are surprisingly precise, and need to be in very good shape to work well. I have seen several of these that have "recently had the impeller changed" but did not pump well. Il all cases, a new wp kit was needed.

Last edited:
Back