Logo

Lower Unit Removal 1999 90 hp

Bill Schneeb

Hello all, I own a 1999 Johnson 90 hp V4, I am trying to remove the lower unit to replace the water pump but can not get it to drop out, got it to drop about an inch and a half and thats all it will go, have service manual and done everything they say to do but still will not come out, got a little annoyed and stuffed it back together and now it dosen't seem to go into reverse, any help would be appreciated, :mad: Bill

Re: Lower Unit Removal

C/P :

The shift rod is attached under the bottom carb. Depending on what year your motor is depends on how it is removed.
Look on the port side of the motor at the top of the shift rod. If there is a screw/bolt going in from the side then you remove the screw and the shift shaft will dis-attach.
If there is not a screw/bolt then look on the starboard side of the motor. Follow the shift linkage and see if there is a retaining pin just to the right of the carb. It will be on the shift linkage going under the carb. If so pull this pin out. Push the shift linkage towards the carb, It will move about 1/2". While pushing, push the linkage backwards. The linkage should disengage from the shift shaft. Now you can remove the lower unit. Assembly is the reverse.

This is from older model,but can help:

I have tryed everything and still will not drop, manual is pretty useless, cannot figure out how to disconnect the shift shaft, pulled the pin and put in forward gear then pushed shaft over towards block, thats all I know, Help Please this is starting to pee me off:mad:

Bill, I have a '96 225HP that I am having the same issue with (we must have gotten our manuals from the same place):confused:. I only started pulling it apart tonight and tend on going at it again tomorrow. If I have any luck I will let you know but it does seem that it is hanging up on a shaft that is connected in some way. If you figure it out please post here so I can learn from your experience too.

Good luck,
Duane

Okay Bill, I finally got mine off. Here is what I had to do in order to do what everyone is talking about. Keep in mind my engine is a '99 (not a '96, sorry about the typo) 225HP FICHT so there may be some differences between yours and mine. I removed the lower engine cowling halves, mine had 3 bolts to remove, 1 ea at the split where the latches are and one screw on the port side on the back half lower section. Once I got the halves off I could see from the port side the bolt that went through the linkage and gear change rod. The linkage was in the middle under the intake portion of the engine. You may not have to do this but I can assure you that after looking at it for the reassembly it will be MUCH easier with the cowlings out of the way in order to line up the shift rod to the linkage plus I could not see the linkage to well in order to figure out how everything hooked up. I am sure that there are quite a few seasoned marine engine repairmen that may laugh at what I did but hey it worked for me. I hope this helps you out, good luck.:D

Thanks for the info, I was going to rip those off also and see if it helped at all, had to walk away for a few days was getting really pissy and didn't want to break anything, mine has a pin that gets pulled but it still will not drop out, theres something else thats getting missed so maybe with a better view with those covers off might do the trick.:cool:

Bill, once the pin is removed you must grasp the rod you removed the pin from and push it PORT side to disengage the shift rod. Now the lower unit should drop.

Now maybe someone can answer my question on re-installing the lower unit:

I have nearly the same engine as you - 1998 FICHT 115 V4 (60 degree V) - and I don't know if the gearcase should be in FWD, REV, or Neutral. I believe the instructions I have say FWD when removing it, but when I try to push the unit back into the midsection, the lever is pushed down into Neutral. I can't get the upper linkage to engage when I move the horizontal rod back and forth. Any ideas?

Does not matter if in fwd, reverse or neutral, but remove the lower carb to be able to push the link far enough to disengage.

Thanks - but mine is a FICHT so there are no carbs. I guess I'll need to remove the fuel filter and vapor separator/fuel pump for access?

You may have to remove the throttle body stb side.
If not mistaken the link has to be pushed in about 3/4" to free out of the shift rod.

Freeing it is not the problem, it is re-engaging the shift rod to the link, but I see what you're saying about access.

However, it looks like access might be easier from the Port side, once the lower engine cowling is removed.

Back