Logo

Wrong oil filters on Merc350's

butlerfla94

Some dummy mechanic at my marina put the wrong oil filters (fram filters) on my twin 350 merc's. One of the filters ripped in half as i applied pressure to remove (all that's left is the base of the filter screwed on tight). The other filter is on just as tight, i didn't dare apply removal wrench pressure to that one. Any tips out there without having to pull the engines would be appreciated.
Screwed in Florida!

Some dummy mechanic at my marina put the wrong oil filters (fram filters) on my twin 350 merc's. One of the filters ripped in half as i applied pressure to remove (all that's left is the base of the filter screwed on tight). The other filter is on just as tight, i didn't dare apply removal wrench pressure to that one. Any tips out there without having to pull the engines would be appreciated.
Screwed in Florida!
What I normally will do when I know they are on that tight is I will use "two" oil filter wrenches at the same time, One to push and one to pull, Get them as close to the base of the filter as you can get them to go.

Just go slow, Let the top wrench be most of the power and the bottom wrench will be just a little bit of power, Just enough before you think you are going to crush the filter.

This works for me a lot even if I have already crushed the filter a little bit with just using one wrench, I will go get the second wrench to help out, Or sometimes if I'm being lazy I will use a shop red rag around the filter, And that will sometimes get them off when they are that tight, But two wrenches are better.:)

I hope this helps, Good luck with it.:)

Back