Logo

Help ! new boater 1996 40 hp force question

bobbyz04

Hi, I have recently bought a boat that has a 1996 force 2 stroke outboard engine. I noticed when staring it in a drum of water that water just sputters out of the exhaust hole. This model doesnt apper to have a tube, it just has oval shaped hole, water comes out but just a light spray. Not a stream, is this normal for this engine ? or do I have an impeller problem ?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Re: Help ! new boater 40 hp force question

The more Im reading, I am starting to think I have been looking at the exhaust hole and this model (40 hp 2 stroke force) does not have a tell tale hole. The water comes out the prop hub. Can anyone verify this ?

The water comes out the "nostrils" What I tell people it that water should come bailing out of there like crazy. Spitting and steaming in not enough. ThE 40 might have to wait for the thermostat.

bobbyz04
did you ever find out if it should come out in a constant flow or just splutter? im fairly new to boating (50 hp force) and well was never sure about this.

thanks

marty

I recently purchased a '79 Marlin with a Force 50 and during the test run had the same question. The water that discharged did not form a stream and was quite hot on my hand. The motor ran perfectly for about 20 minutes and did not smell hot afterward. I am also wondering if this is normal for these engines. Does anyone have one of these that discharges water in a different way than the few of us have indicated?

Thanks

I have a 1988 35 Force, and it discharges water same as what all of you have described. It has been run as long as 40 minutes at 3/4 throttle without running hot.

Water follows the path of least resistance.It will go out the exhaust.If your worried then replace the impeller.It should be replaced at least every other year.J

These motors do not have a tell tale. They sputter the water out like what all of you are describing. Your systems are fine. If you are really wanting to see a tell tale then at the top of you rengine there will be a screw that can be removed. Get a fitting for it and run a small 1/4" hole out the side to a hole you have drilled for it. Push it through the hole and start the engine....you now have a tell tale.

They sputter out the exhaust as designed to do. Yet if you use a hosepipe and the earmuff you will see that the water streams out at 4 places at bottom near the top of prop. 2 on each side. I been running my force 40 1996 for 17 years and just now had to work on it. Salt water ate up plate in waterpump and my pinion gear and forward gear were severely damaged. Got it back up and running good hoping for 17 more years. But this time I'm gonna open it up and clean it out,spray lubricant on it to help protect it from the salt. But yes,mine sputters out exhaust and streams out 4 holes at the bottom. You van only see the stream if you are using muffs and hosepipe as the will be under water if you use a drum.

Back