Logo

Mercury3000 Commander / Throttle Box removal?

bayray

Contributing Member
I'm getting ready to have the entire upholstery redone on the boat, and I'm having a problem getting the throttle box removed from the side-board.

I know in the past I've seen instructions on this, and thought that you had to have the handle in a certain position, and use an Allen Wrench to remove handle and then have access to the securing screws.

Here is a picture of the Commander Unit in question:

Attachments

• Control Box.jpg
    Control Box.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,304
If you are going to to remove the controller from the boat, Start with the shift lever in neutral...Because the only way you can remove the neutral button with out breaking it is you will need to push the center button in, Then lift the red handle, Then go to full forward, Then pry the button out from the backside of the button head with something like a small flat bladed screw driver. Try not to damage the paint on the shifter while prying it out. Then go to neutral, You will then need a 11/16 socket to R&R the center bolt. The bolt should have lock tite on it already, But you should add a little more while putting it back on. The torque is (150) inch pounds. When your done just push the button back in while it's in neutral.

Here is a little more information about how to get it out also.
Start by removing the throttle only button by pushing the button in and going to full forward. It pry's out. Under there is a bolt with a hole in the center, remove that, it allows the handle to be removed. Remove the handle carefully and note how the wires are wrapped around the base. These are your trim wires. They have to be put back in like that or when you shift you will cut them. Once the handle is out, flip it over and remove the screw holding on the red release lever, dont lose the spring. Then take the screw(s) out holding the upper plastic handle cover if equiped. Then push the trim button out. If the handle on yours is metal (older) just push the trim button out so you can feed it thru the bottom of the handle.
Now remover the cover. (says commander 3000 on it)
Once that is done, remove the bolts holding the plate against the side panel and pull that over the trim wires.
Before you remove the last bolt support the control box behind the panel, as these bolts also hold it in.
Then work the control box out to where you can reach it without bending the shift cables too sharply.

PS if you do not want to remove the red handle and to remove the trim button, Then if you have room to get to the backside of the controller by the shift cables, Then there normally is a white wire plug back there by the cables so that you can pull the shifter handle out to you with the wires still hooked to the shifter handle, Sometimes it's easier that way, Depending on the room you have to work with.

Back