Logo

Excessive blowby after engine warms up

takoateli

I have a 4 cylinder turbo Perk

I have a 4 cylinder turbo Perkins diesel 88hp engine which has excessive blowby after the engine has warmed up to running temperature. The blowby when the engine is cold and warming up is normal. Does that symptom help diagnose where the blowby is escaping?
Thanks!
Greg

"Greg:

Blowby comes from th

"Greg:

Blowby comes from the cylinders, leaking past the rings. It may be a normal amount of gas but more oil mist? How old is the engine and any idea how it has been maintained?

PS - You may want to ask Andrew (moderator) to move this post to the PERKINS page."

Makomark,

Thanks! There is some oil mist coming out the crankcase vent, and the blowby really blows out hard. The engine is about 2 years old. It's actually not a Perkins, it's a Perkins copy by a company called Internation MWM and it was made in Brazil. The engine is in great shape and it's been well maintained but something did happen to it once, I can't remember what. I kind of think it overheated, but I could be wrong.

Is it normal that the amount of blowby would increase as the engine comes up to temp?

Is there anything short of an overhaul one can do about it?

Greg

My limited experience indicates the blowby pressure usually goes down as the engine warms up to temperature and varies with RPM. Also, the suspended droplets in it usually increase with RPM.

If you are happy with the engine's output, about the only thing I know of to minimize the blowby is to add a closed crankcase system. Walker's AirSep's have been around for a long time but are NOT cheap. Racor makes them as do a few other filter houses. the most economical one I've seen lately is a hummel unit. Search the ww for closed crankcase vent (ccv) and see what is out there.

Back