Logo

Yamaha 115 V4 choke wonbt release

T

TimC

" Something is gummed up. The

" Something is gummed up. The solenoid appears to be working as it clicks when I hit the switch and you can see the "plunger" try to respond. Manually moving the rod connected to the manual choke on the motor housing doesn't feel loose and doesn't spring back when released. Do I need to add lubrication to the inner part of the solenoid? Lube the actual flappers themselves? If so what do I use? Sorry for a somewhat ignorant post. I can usually kind of "figure stuff out" but I am new to outboards and don't want to go to a dealer or mechanic for a problem that appears to be simple. Everything works fine and appears to be working right, except the choke won't spring back after I release it. "

" TimC
I had the same problem

" TimC
I had the same problem on a 115 Yamaha. I solved mine by finding that the problem was caused by the plates on the side of the carbs. Loosen the screws that are holding the choke plate rods, activate the choke, if now opperating properly this is the problem. Adjust the plates so that choke can move smoothly to the open & shut position and not hang. On mine I had to remove one of the plates and bend it just a small amount, and when I reinstalled the plate it worked and I haven't had any problems since.

I hope this will help you solve the problem. "

" Tried the method of liberall

" Tried the method of liberally spraying Gumout carb cleaner on it and it cleaned everything up and seemed to loosen things up a little, but still won't spring back on its own. Will try your ideas as soon as I can get that bottom starboard screw off the air hood. Anyone else have any suggestions? I'm still manually pushing the choke down after starting and then putting the cowling back on. "

Back