Logo

Bf90a 2000 wonbt start full charge

222john222

I have new batterys two fully

I have new batterys two fully charged but only get a click out of starter. Ran down old batterys tried to charge them I thought my chargers was the problem boat ran fine before this bought a new charger new batterys still having issue. It has a perko switch two batterys ?

"First make sure all the conne

"First make sure all the connections for the BIG CABLES are clean and tight. Wire brush the battery cable terminals and the battery terminals. While you have them off, go to the Perko switch and remove and clean those terminals. Shiney, shiney, shiney! Then to the starter and remove the large cables and remove and clean those connections. Put them back on good and snug without overtightening so you don't break the terminal studs. Reconnect the batteries and see if it cranks. Get back with results and we'll go from there. Do you own a DIGITAL multimeter? That will help us help you."

Ok I checked all conections wi

Ok I checked all conections with multimeter with it I found 12v up to the starter so I pulled the starter and it was tested and it was bad. This was caused by jumper cables my son used to try to start it when the battery was ran down. I would like to know when I put a new starter in this motor what other components might have been effected ? By the way the help is awsome !

"Well, that sounds a bit stran

"Well, that sounds a bit strange. I don't know what you mean by "caused by jumper cables" but I can only assume that your son may have reversed the polarity while attempting to jump start the engine. I'm not sure if that would harm your starter or not. I have seen people do that in the past and cause damage but never to a starter motor.

What usually happens in those cases is that the charging system and delicate electronics like control modules (ECM) are ruined. That is what I would fear the most.

But, all you can do is put a good starter on it and crank it up and see what happens unless you're willing to take it to a dealer and have the diagnostics run. If it will start and run and the batteries are charging, you're golden. Let's hope that is the case. Good luck."

Back