Logo

Honda BF15D no water

sierrajake

"When I pulled the lower end,

"When I pulled the lower end, I found that the impeller had come apart. A few chunks inside the housing. New impeller - reinstall lower end - no water thru either pee-hole except for a little dribble. Suspect piece of rubber in water chase or tubing somewhere, question is where, and how do I get to it? Is this a common problem?

JK"

"Hi John,
Yes it is common fo

"Hi John,
Yes it is common for those pieces to travel up and get caught. First off, I believe you only have one pee hole.

The other one next to it is connected to the carburetor float bowl drain. They put it there so you could easily catch the fuel that you religously drain from your carb to prevent sediment from ruining your life. Hint hint!

Any who, the pee outlet is connected to a rubber tube that goes to a metal tube coming from the side of the engine block. You will need to remove your cowl and starboard cover to get to it. Some folks will tell you to just poke a wire or something through the tube to clear it but don't.

Take the cover off so that you can access it and remove the rubber tube and make sure it is clear.

Note that it was routed up through a hole through the pan that the side cover butts up to when installed. Make sure that you re-route the tube up through this hole before attaching it to the plastic nipple in the side cover. If you don't, you will pinch that hose when you re-install the cover and you won't get a good tell-tale water stream. Replace that hose if it has become hard.

Look inside the metal nipple that the hose was attached to and make sure it is clear. With your outboard's lower end submerged in a trash can of water, NOT a garden hose, start the motor with the rubber tube and cover off and see if you don't get a good stream out of that metal nipple. If not, you can poke around in there with a piece of string trimmer line or a piece of wire. If you don't get water within a few seconds, shut the engine down so that you don't overheat. Usually those pieces make their way out of the passages with no help but sometimes I find parts of them in the thermostat housing and cylinder head.

Other rteasons for no water after an impeller replacement:

you missed the the water tube with the rubber connector on the pump housing when you replaced the gearcase.

impeller installed backward.

Re-used old impeller drive key. The old one got cocked and rode up under the impeller and wiped out it's inside diameter causing it to slip on the driveshaft. Always use a new key because they wear. I recommend that the "full Monty" kit be used to service the waterpump. Costs a bit more but you get all the pieces to do a good job.

Anyway, try that and see what happens. Good luck."

Re: "Hi John, Yes it is common fo

Thank you for this explanation, this is so very useful.

"Hi John,
Yes it is common for those pieces to travel up and get caught. First off, I believe you only have one pee hole.

The other one next to it is connected to the carburetor float bowl drain. They put it there so you could easily catch the fuel that you religously drain from your carb to prevent sediment from ruining your life. Hint hint!

Any who, the pee outlet is connected to a rubber tube that goes to a metal tube coming from the side of the engine block. You will need to remove your cowl and starboard cover to get to it. Some folks will tell you to just poke a wire or something through the tube to clear it but don't.

Take the cover off so that you can access it and remove the rubber tube and make sure it is clear.

Note that it was routed up through a hole through the pan that the side cover butts up to when installed. Make sure that you re-route the tube up through this hole before attaching it to the plastic nipple in the side cover. If you don't, you will pinch that hose when you re-install the cover and you won't get a good tell-tale water stream. Replace that hose if it has become hard.

Look inside the metal nipple that the hose was attached to and make sure it is clear. With your outboard's lower end submerged in a trash can of water, NOT a garden hose, start the motor with the rubber tube and cover off and see if you don't get a good stream out of that metal nipple. If not, you can poke around in there with a piece of string trimmer line or a piece of wire. If you don't get water within a few seconds, shut the engine down so that you don't overheat. Usually those pieces make their way out of the passages with no help but sometimes I find parts of them in the thermostat housing and cylinder head.

Other rteasons for no water after an impeller replacement:

you missed the the water tube with the rubber connector on the pump housing when you replaced the gearcase.

impeller installed backward.

Re-used old impeller drive key. The old one got cocked and rode up under the impeller and wiped out it's inside diameter causing it to slip on the driveshaft. Always use a new key because they wear. I recommend that the "full Monty" kit be used to service the waterpump. Costs a bit more but you get all the pieces to do a good job.

Anyway, try that and see what happens. Good luck."

Back