Boat makes RPMs but speed is way off!
No signs of any problems Props seem ok.
Published speed of others are 1200 rpm 8.5 Kts
and 19-22 at 2100 RPMs
Ours is 8 at 1250 and 14 at 2100.
Any sugestions!
White smoke only at 2100 not to bad.

"Sorry to say this and I'm

"Sorry to say this and I'm sure you will not like to hear it but if you are experiencing "white smoke at 2100 rpm", I'd say you DO have a problem.

White smoke is almost always from one of the following conditions:

1. You may be seeing unburned, raw, atomized fuel that hasn't been subjected to enough heat from compression to vaporize and ignite. Usually indicates low compression in one or more cylinders and is most often seen at start up on a cold engine that has poorly sealing compression rings. Often clears up after engine reaches operating tempurature.

OR

2. You are seeing steam from coolant that is entering the combustion chamber and being superheated. Often won't be seen until the engine reaches operating tempurature. The coolant causes the combustion temps to go low and can effect power output.

Either of these could explain your lack of horsepower. The rub is figuring out which one it is. You can usually detect the smell of the raw diesel but I'm betting that what you are seeing is steam and that could be caused by any number of things from a bad head gasket to a cracked block.

You need to first figure out what the smoke consists of and then go from there."

Back