Logo

470 Merc Wonbt Start Carb Issues I think

big_chief

"Been working on this project

"Been working on this project for the last few months, got the motor to start last week on carb cleaner but didnt appear to be getting any gas in the carb... The story...

Gas tank has been drained and now has fresh gas. Fuel pump filer has been changed. Cap and Rotor are new along with new coil and new connections at coil. Plugs also new. I got the motor to start 3 times last week on carb cleaner, but motor died after 2-3 minutes.

I decided to remove TOP PLATE ONLY on carb to check visually... The carb looked super clean. I soaked up the gas in the float area just in case it was bad and to see if the fuel pump was working.

I go to start now and see gas is being pumped into each barrel about 1/8" on top on the throttle "flaps". Is this normal? Looks like to much gas. I also happen to notice the wire on the choke gets "hot" after a few minutes. Its the same wire that goes to the coil, which is also "hot".

Looks like there is too much gas going into the intake. Did I loosen something when I removed the top plate?

Any suggestions?"

"Ayuh,... Sounds like the carb

"Ayuh,... Sounds like the carb needs a rebuild, or replacement..."

Update:

Still won't start... Seems like the carb is flooding continuously. Not sure why? I pulled the top plate from the carb and everything looked clean inside. So I bolted it back together.

The fuel pump is mechanical. I'm not too familiar with carbs... Is it possible something is sticking OPEN causing the gas to continue seeping in the barrel?

My original problem was getting no gas... Now I'm getting too much gas... Any suggestions as to how this functions?

Oh, just for kicks... What happens to the gas that is sitting in the barrel? I imagine it seeps into the intake... But where does it actually go? Sorry for such a newbie question.

Thanks for the help..

Sounds to be the float is not floating. If it has pinholes and such in it then it will not float. Also the clip pin that holds the float did you put it back the same side you took it out maybe it's getting hung up not allowing the float to rise and thus the needle valve can't shut off fuel to the circuits.

Me i would take it back off make sure of the float issue and the carb jetss are in fact clean.

Put it back together and make sure the filter at the fitting that enters the carb is clean the fuel pump may have a filter in it also.

run the boat on a external tank of fresh fuel. Dribble a little into the carb and try to start it then.

You do have spark at the plug ?

Post back the result we will go from there.

If its flooding all the time there is most likely something (dirt) between the needle and seat not allowing it to shut the fuel off to the float bowl or a float drop off issue

Back