Logo

87 Evinrude 60 HP VRO system Question

R

Ray Ikenberry

I bought a used outfit with n

I bought a used outfit with no manuals. Between the oil hose connection at the motor and the VRO pump there is a white plastic part in the line that looks like a filter or seperator where the injection oil goes into before exiting back out to the VRO pump. I can see oil level just at the inlet and the top part is empty. This lookes like it may not be original equipment. What is the function of this part? Can this motor have the VRO disabled? And if so can the line be plugged at the end of the line that comes off this white plastic part and goes to the VRO? Ray

"Ray.... That clear section of

"Ray.... That clear section of the oil line is an inspection line. It is mainly used when you first hook up the unit to enable you to see that you do indeed have oil pumped to the VRO before you start the engine. If you wanted to do away with the automatic oil injection system, do the following.

(VRO Pump Conversion To Straight Fuel Pump)

You can convert the VRO pump into a straight fuel pump, eliminating the oil tank and VRO pump warning system, but retain the overheat warning setup by doing the following:

1 - Cut and plug the oil line at the engine so that the oil side of the VRO pump will not draw air into its system. Trace the wires from the back of the VRO to its rubber plug (electrical plug) and disconnect it.

2 - Trace the two wires from the oil tank to the engine, disconnect those two wires, then remove them and the oil tank.

3 - Mix the 50/1 oil in the proper amount with whatever quanity fuel you have. Disconnect the fuel line at the engine. Pump the fuel primer bulb until fuel exits that hose with the tint of whatever oil you used. Reconnect the fuel hose.

That's it. If you want to test the heat warning system to ease your mind, have the key in the on position, then ground out the tan heat sensor wire that you'll find protruding from the cylinder head. The warning horn should sound off.

Joe
"

" Thanks Joe, The plastic part

" Thanks Joe, The plastic part I mentioned in the oil line looks more like a sediment bowl a tractor would have on the fuel line but it is upsidedown and the top part (bowl) will screw off completely and it is empty at that level and the assembly is held on with hose clamps. That is the reason it looks like an add on. I got this from an estate so there was no one to ask about the reason it was there. I think someone Jerry Rigged it. Because the line is already cut in half there, is it OK to plug it at that point? "

"That's not an oil line, t

"That's not an oil line, that's an in line fuel filter...... and that line's cut?? That's somewhat confusing

Joe
"

" There is no filter material

" There is no filter material in the bowl, the top half is empty (vacc or air bubble) but I will check in daylight as I can squeese the oil tank bulb and it increases the fluid level somewhat. I am 90% sure it is hoooked to the oil resivoir line and the fuel line goes directly to the VRO. When I said the line was cut, I ment the bowl was inserted into the line halfway to the VRO and secured with hose clamps. "

" What it sounds like to me is

" What it sounds like to me is that someone has placed a filter of sorts onto the oil line? Remove it, it is not needed, there should be a filter on the oil pickup tube in the oil tank. "

" Joe, You were right the whit

" Joe, You were right the white bowl was the gas filter. I retraced the oil line and found 2 of the plastic sweeze clamps had seperated (broke). One on the outside of the oil line where it goes into the housing and the first one just on the inside of the motor cover. I reclanped the inside one and cut, clamped, and plugged the outside one plus followed the instructions to disable the VRO oil injection just to be sure of correct mixture and now the engine runs great. Thanks, Ray "

Back