Logo

Crusader 220

bob_on_this

Regular Contributor
"Have run both engines now on

"Have run both engines now on the "test" stand/trailer. Both engines fired right up and ran great.
Ran them at 3000 RPM for 1/2 hour each to break in the cams. Running straight 4" pipes out the back sounded awesome. Hope they are not quite so loud in the boat.

I'll post some photos soon.
Install starts this weekend...."

Sounds great!

hope the rein

Sounds great!

hope the reinstall goes as easy as the break-in.

no video links?

"Mark, sorry no video, but lot

"Mark, sorry no video, but lots of photos to come.

Wife and I got both engines back into the boat today. Most systems are connected and ready to go. Just need to order up some exhaust hose and 45 deg. elbows, and we are almost ready to splash."

You can make the elbows fromm

You can make the elbows fromm the straight tube if you have some epoxy and some fiberglass cloth.

"Wife and I got both engines a

"Wife and I got both engines and and most of the systems connected. Just need the exhaust and we are ready for our maiden voyage....

url]
"

Don't forget the rest of t

Don't forget the rest of the break-in for those engines....and the oil changes....don't want you to have to repeat this job...

This is like watching a movie

This is like watching a movie with a happy ending ! We saw it from the beginning and right thru til the end....Bravo!

Launched the boat on Thursday ..... HeeeHaaa.... Didn't run her much, but she did seem low on power. I know the props will need to changed, but didn't want to guess, so I will get all my info recorded, and then take them in. Motored over to the marine and put her in her new slip. Fun driving a twin, NICE.
I did find that the SB engine is running rough and found the choke was not opening. Wired it open, and it runs better. Is there a better option than the old "thermal spring" for the choke? I'm not sure I even need a choke?

Bob

J C Whitney used to sell an electric choke conversion kit. Used one on my old RV and it worked great. If they don't sell it, try Jegs or Summit Racing on line.

Jeff

Jeff,
All the electric choke kits I find are to convert from the "heat tube" type to electric.
I have the old heat pot that attaches to the intake manifold. Has anyone found an upgrade for these?
For now, I have the choke wired open. I have re-winterized the engines for now, as we are still getting below 26 deg. When it warms up a little, I'll see how they start without a choke.
Is there anything I should worry about going this way?

Bob:

They are available but not cheap. One brand name is "SuperChoke". you want an electric choke conversion for a 4MV style Q-jet. I'd start with Cliff, if he can't get it, check with "the carburetor shop", out in missouri if I remember correctly.

if that fails, I've seen them at flyingfishcarburetors.com and on ebay - going rate is ~ $50/ea + shipping.

..."All the electric choke kits I find are to convert from the "heat tube" type to electric."

Exactly! That's what you need. Easy to hook up and they work great.

Jeff

PS: If you intend regular starting without choke, keep in mind that marine starters are not cheap.

Jeff: Bob is refer to a retrofit kit for a 4MC style carb which was never OEM mmarinized equipment. Some of the aftermarket shops have started providing the newer styled 4MC's as 'equivalent'.

Bob: Nothing wrong with it with the caveats you mentioned. If it stays cool on the lake, Jeff's PS bears consideration.

Being as you appear rather handy, you may wanna consider this. If you can find an old boat that has a decent pair of remote control cables, you could use them as mechanical choke controls. Maybe some custom turned pull knobs you could locate in a spot where you have easy access to....You could try the manual convert kits but I wouldn't expect the steel coiled cable to last too long, even lacking the brine. Maybe teleflex has a light duty control cable that is reasonably priced...check Andrew's catalog using the button at the top.

Back