Logo

Switching transmission from an engine to another

pietropesci

"Hi there, please help me to u

"Hi there, please help me to understand if I did a mess! I was in need of repowering a boat of mine, and purchased from a sale two 318 counter-rotating engines, with their two transmissions(velvet 1017-004)coming out of a twin engine boat, after having tested them still in the boat. As only the left engine and the right transmission were working good, I thought to put them together and install everything in the boat, but, as I experimented today, the engine works good, but not the transmission, whatever I do, whenever I push the lever, it goes on slightly turn counterclock, while the engine is a right rotation, and I'm able to stop rotation just gripping the axle with my hand, also when I throttle up the engine: does the transmission oil pump only works with the right side engine rotation? This is the only cause I can figure out. Please help me if you can!!!! Pietro"

The trans oil pump MUST be set

The trans oil pump MUST be setup to rotate as the motor does. I suspect yours is not.

Jeff

"In fact, right now I've f

"In fact, right now I've found a useful guide on the web. I need to loose the transmission, make a 180° rotation of the pump to get the arrow that is now in the lower part located in the upper. This means another day to be payed to my mechanic! Thank you anyway!"

"by the way fastjeff, can you

"by the way fastjeff, can you tell me if it is an hard job? could you please explain to me what "use a rubber hammer to tap the oil boss but do not strike the bolt bosses" mean? I am sorry, but I am Italian, not so skilled with tech English, I have never heard the word "boss" in this meaning."

"Sorry, paisan, but I've n

"Sorry, paisan, but I've never done this particular job. What the manual says is nothing new to a mechanic, however. Take your time and don't bang on or pry against anything that might get damaged.

I would replace the front seal at the same time. It might leak after the shaft starts spinning the other way. Good luck!

Jeff"

It means hit the flat spots &#

It means hit the flat spots (boss) where the bolts tighten up. The pump is a precision machined piece and DO NOT use a regular metal hammer as it may damage it.

Back