Logo

Johnson 115 year 2000

donnysoto

This is my third power pack fo

This is my third power pack for this motor.Is this a coman thing on this engine. The last one was put on by a local marine shop in 2006.I just order my third one today.

"Disconnect the black/yellow w

"Disconnect the black/yellow wire that leads FROM the wiring harness TO the powerpack (harness that leads to the dash).

Connect either a amp meter, or a volt meter set to its most sensitive scale between that harness black/yellow wire and any powerhead ground. Now check to see if there's any trace of a voltage reading being emitted from that wire with the key ON or OFF.

The slightest amount of voltage, even a microvolt, will damage the powerpack.

Voltage at that wire..... suspect (usually) a flawed ignition switch. Also, I've found on rare ocassions that a wiring harness laying in the bilge soaked with water will set up a voltage conductive problem.

Let us know if your problem is indeed caused by this type condition.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Just got time to check that wi

Just got time to check that wire. did not find any voltage on it. but i did fine that wire was cut by the power head and the wire next to the black/yellow was also cut it is gray or white in color. could it be the problem

Normally there is a diode in t

Normally there is a diode in the circuitry between the black/yellow wire and the white wire on the powerpacks BUT I'm not familiar with the powerpack circuitry of the 2000 models. Personally I don't understand why anyone would cut that white wire or if that would interfere with the pack's operation. Hopefully another member with greater knowledge of that pack will jump in here with the needed information.

Will let me clear it up just a

Will let me clear it up just a little .I use the word cut when i should have sade rub on engine block. It looks like that when they put the cover back on it that it push the wires down on the top of the motor.Do you no if that other wire carrie enough volts to harm the power pack.

"No, sorry. I have no idea of

"No, sorry. I have no idea of what voltage may be involved within that wire, BUT if any voltage is prsent at that point and the diode (if present) is shorted, that would allow voltage to engage the black/yellow wire. Hopefully someone will jump in here with that knowledge shortly."

Back