Logo

Power tilt trim mercruiser 30

When I try and work trim from

When I try and work trim from switch nothing happens. Straight wired to trim motor and it works fine.Up and down. Just doesn't work from switch. Can someone help. Thanks

"Probably a bad switch, which

"Probably a bad switch, which is not unusual. Easy to test with continuity tester. Switch should have 3 pins - can't remember the wire colors at the moment. Connect center pin to left pin. Push switch and see if you have continuity. Repeat with center and left pin. If switch is bad, replace. If switch is good, you have a broken connection between the switch and the trim motor. If broken connection, it is likely the ground wire."

"Ayuh,.. Just Guessing becaus

"Ayuh,.. Just Guessing because you don't say,...

If this is a Mercruiser,...
The Trim Limit Switch is probably Trashed if the Trim button quit workin'...
Does it respond to the Trailer button,..??"

"Man, good people here. Thanks

"Man, good people here. Thanks. I took your advice W D Neal. I put a test light to the pins behind the switch and shows no current to the switch. Ran a hot wire to the pins and it activates the trim motor. Could it be that there is no power to the switch. I couldn't find power from any of the four wires coming from the switch or the trailer button either. Showed no continuity when i jumped from pin to pin. You think it's the switch W D ? Thanks a lot Phil"

"Ayuh,... If there's No p

"Ayuh,... If there's No power to the switch, the Problem is Before the switch..."

"Is this a Mercruiser set up?

"Is this a Mercruiser set up? If so, search the web for a wiring diagram. If this is a Mercruiser set up, it's a bit more complicated. There may be a fuse or circuit breaker somewhere in the power circuit. Trace the wires and see if there is and see if the fuse/circuit breaker is the problem.

Bondo asked if trim responded to the trailer button - does it?

Basically, tilt/trim switches are very simple. Power feeds to the center pin. When you press the rocker switch, you are sending current to one of the outer pins which activates the pump motor on the engine. WITH THE MAIN SWITCH TURNED ON, typically the center pin on the switch should have 12 volts between it and ground. If it does not, then the wire feeding the center pin on the switch is bad, OR, as Bondo stated, the trim limit switch/circuit is trashed.

Take a look that this link.
http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o291/DonSind/?action=view&current=SXTrim.png"

Back