Logo

Outdrive leak

omegahart

"When I changed the fluid in m

"When I changed the fluid in my outdrive for the winter, the fluid was very dark and had some water contamination. No metal shavings in the fluid. Since the change, I have had fluid leaking from a hole near the front of the lower unit. Search of forum indicates replacing the water pump. Need to install new impeller this year anyway. Should I replace the seals between the upper and lower unit? I also have no exhaust bellows but there is a plastic tube in place. Is this an exhaust tube and is it okay to leave on the boat? I have photos but exceed limit and cannot get photobucket link to copy over."

"[b]"I have had fluid leak

""I have had fluid leaking from a hole near the front of the lower unit. Search of forum indicates replacing the water pump. Need to install new impeller this year anyway. Should I replace the seals between the upper and lower unit?"

Ayuh,... Find the Leak 1st, before you go buying parts...
My guess is, it's probably the shift spool seal...

The exhaust Tube is just Fine..."

Bondo, Thanks for the reply. I have ordered a pressure test guage. Can you clairfy the "shift shaft." The SELOC manual shows a long shift shaft with a 90 degree bend behind the water pump. It also shows a shift shaft with a shift spool behind the propeller shaft. The 90 degree shift shaft has a upper oil seal above the shift shaft bushing. I do not see a seal on the lower labeled shift shaft. The shift shaft bushing assembly comes with the oil seal and o rings installed. If this is the problem should I go ahead and replace the entire shift shaft bushing?

The shift shaft bushing assembly comes with the oil seal and o rings installed.

Ayuh,... That's what I'm talking about...
But,...
Test, Diagnose, Then order parts...

Bondo, finally tackled the outdrive leak. Test revealed leak at above cone near the speedo hose. Changed shift shaft seal (old one was cracked), oil pickup seal, water pump seals (cracked and worn), and impeller. Much improved water flow and No FLUID LEAK! Thanks.

Test revealed leak at above cone near the speedo hose
What kind of drive, if Alpha the hole is a drain hole not a speedo pickup

Changed shift shaft seal (old one was cracked), oil pickup seal, water pump seals (cracked and worn), and impeller.

no matter what drive, he apparently fixed it...........

It is an 1994 Alpha 1 Gen II. Looking above the anti-ventilation plate, the leak was behind the speedometer fitting. When the lower unit was separated, found the shift shaft seal had cracks. Found that the water pump housing seal had cracks as well and the gasket above and below the face plate were in bad shape. Got a kit with the face plate seals, pump housing, and pump housing seal. Replaced the o-ring and impeller while in there.

Back