Logo

Bottom painting

holinwtr

Regular Contributor
I've got an old 17' sk

I've got an old 17' ski boat that needs a bottom paint job. What kind of paint should I use? And what's the best way to access the bottom? Really I just need something to do until the weather breaks. Thanks fellas

I see. actually I'm not s

I see. actually I'm not sure it needs a paint job. Maybe it just needs a new clear coat. Would that work just as good?

"re:" I see. actually I&#3

"re:" I see. actually I'm not sure it needs a paint job. Maybe it just needs a new clear coat. Would that work just as good?"

Don't know of any "clear coat" bottom paints. Before we go off on a snark hunt, is this boat used in fresh, salt or brackish water, and how fast is it, i.e., normal cruising/running speed."

"its an old 1976 Somerset 17&#

"its an old 1976 Somerset 17' ski/pleasure boat. Used in fresh water. It's not a real fast boat, maybe 30 mph. 20 mph cruising. I always thought you cleared coated over the paint like automotive paint."

"Some folks wax over bottom pa

"Some folks wax over bottom paint in freshwater. Depending on the body of water you are on, you may get away with wax or you may need a bottom paint formulated for fresh water. Is the boat in the water 24/7 or is it on a trailer or a lift?"

"its a trailored boat. Used m

"its a trailored boat. Used mainly in freshwater lakes. Every other year we go to the Chesapeake bay for a week. We're up on the northern end of it though, so its mainly still freshwater."

"It's unlikely that your u

"It's unlikely that your use of the boat warrants painting the bottom with anti fouling paint. If the existing paint (if painted and not the hull's bare gel coat) is in poor shape, you might consider painting it, however the extra cost and issues with anti fouling paint would steer you to other paint options. If the hull is bare gelcoat, the consider a good cleaning/compounding and a couple of coats of wax. There are teflon based waxes for boat bottoms, that may give you a slight performance improvement."

"[b]"its a trailored boat.

""its a trailored boat. Used mainly in freshwater lakes. Every other year we go to the Chesapeake bay for a week. We're up on the northern end of it though, so its mainly still freshwater."

Ayuh,.. You don't need Bottom Paint,...
You just need paint to make it all 1 color...
Roll on a coat of Rustoleum on it,+ go have Fun..."

Alright. Thanks for the info

Alright. Thanks for the info guys. It sounds like I don't really need to do anything. I'll just do my regular maintenence and change to oil etc. Thanks again. I've been a member on this page for a long time and you guys have saved me a bundle of money and time. Thanks for everything.

Back