Logo

Leaky windows

hippie

Regular Contributor
"My front windows leak badlt.

"My front windows leak badlt. I bought a couple tubes of silicone to put behind the windows when I seat them. Now, I've been looking for a substance called 10X but cannot find any. We always put it on the seams where the caulking was after the caulking was dry, as a top dress. I need to know what are you men using now to complete this task. Thanking you in advance, Bob"

"Bob:

I've never had an

"Bob:

I've never had any long term luck with silicone on the boat. Last time we reworked them, I'm pretty sure we cleaned the aluminum frame and put a 1/4" bead of 4200 down and then set the plastic on it. Pressed down just enough to get the bead to expand to about 3/8" and no more.

I'd suggest you verify the "glass" material and then find a poly-based adhesive/sealer that is compatible with the "glass" and whatever the framme material is."

"Hey guyz? When you talk abou

"Hey guyz? When you talk about leaks ..are you saying that the glass to frame is leaking or the frame to the boat hull is leaking. I have never experienced tha actual glass leaking at the frame but recently, (as noted my makomark), I had two mechanics recommend using the 4200 at the screw mounts to the hull. I removed the screws and or bolt, set 4200 in the hole and re-set the screw or bolt. It worked! Have had no water in my cabin area last summer and none this winter; even with melting snow on the bow."

"Charlie, both are leaking for

"Charlie, both are leaking for me. This 4200, is it plyable enough to withstand summer and winter? Also is it a permanant type like 5200? I do not want the permanant type if I have to take the windows out again. Thanks, Bob"

"PS- Charlie, how thick did yo

"PS- Charlie, how thick did you apply the 4200? and did you tape off prior to applying the 4200?"

"Bob:

4200 is made by 3M, i

"Bob:

4200 is made by 3M, it is the newer, quick drying version of 5200. Standard techniques aid in application and cleanup. 3M's website has all the details if you'd like to research options."

"Just a small correction. 4200

"Just a small correction. 4200 is not a quicker drying version of 5200. While yes it does cure more quickly it does not have quite the same holding strength as 5200. Use 5200 (there's also a fast cure 5200) when you want a permanant fix. It does not come apart. 4200 while extremely strong has somewhat less holding power than the 5200. It's very good for sealing deck plates, hatches, windows, cleats, lights, etc. There was also a 3M 4000 which had UV inhibitors in it and didn't discolor over time} but I'm not sure if it's still around.
There's also the Sika line. Sikaflex 292 hi-strength. Fast cure 291 for general purpose & light bonding and Sikaflex 295-UV especially designed for bonding plastics such as Lexan & Plexiglas.
I would recommend always masking. I hate working with this stuff. It seems no matter how careful you are it gets all over.
Good Luck"

C:

Thanks for fixing my mis

C:

Thanks for fixing my mistake. Probably better to have called the 4200 the "removable" version of 5200.

"No sweat M. Appears all the A

"No sweat M. Appears all the Arctic weather is finally behind us, ehh. I have a brother in Md. Looked like you guys got as much or more snow than us this year. Now if we can get through the monsoons unscathed it'll soon be splash time. You ready?"

"Thank you, all you guys alway

"Thank you, all you guys always know the answer!
I will use the 4200. Thanks again, Bob"

C:

Not ready but floating..

C:

Not ready but floating....never got hauled last fall due to timming constraints. Never seen that much snow while floating. She's got more capacity than I thought.

Bob: sorry to get abck to you

Bob: sorry to get abck to you late. The glass was set into the frames with 3M silicone sealer and I replaced the outside rubber gasket along all perimeters of glass. I only used the 4200 where the glass alum. frame assembly was mounted to the hull; being sure that any holes for mounting were sealed after tightening the bolts and/or screws.

Back