Logo

Oilfuel mixture

jwalker

thinking about disconnecting o

thinking about disconnecting oil injection on my mariner 135 what should the ratio be in mixing oil and gas? if i didnt unhook injection would it still hurt to add oil to gas wiyh injection?

1 pint of oil to 6 gal. gas. I

1 pint of oil to 6 gal. gas. I don't think it will hurt anything other than smoking and fouling plugs more often. If it was ran that way much it would probably need to be decarboned regular. Hope this gives you something to think about until someone else can answer.

It's a good question, and one people debate often with regard to 2-stroke engines..

one school of thought is ' run it lean, keep it clean '..

the other is ' oil is the life blood, run it a touch rich '..

I personally, have raced 8 and 10hp mariner's in my boat for a few years now - and run wide open throttle for hours on end..

for this purpose, I run my oil rich.. from 40:1 right down to 25:1.. and I've never fouled a plug..

I run full or modified synthetic.. and have experimented with oils from Castrol R30 castor to the TTS racing oils, and also with MOTUL 2 cycle engine oils..

I found a few differences, but namely that the motul synthetic ( red oil ) ran really well.. displaced the heat exceptionally well.. didnt foul and had a lovely smell.. ( yeah i know, it's weird - but I enjoy a nice 2 stroke smell ) - also didnt look like gorillas in the mist from the smoke..

You may ask ' how does he know it displaced the heat well ? ' - well, I run a line from the discharge - up and through the tiller - so that the output runs across the back of my hand - this way, I can monitor the engines temp.. if it's too hot for my hand, I need to drop the motor in the water a little deeper.. or back off a bit on the throttle.. ( we jack our motors up on a sliding transholm for speed and depth clearance )

Back