Logo

1982 75hp Johnson wont start backfires

mike77cj

Regular Contributor
"1982 75 hp Johnson was idling

"1982 75 hp Johnson was idling fine but would fall on it's face when placed in gear in the water. After rebuilding the carbs and with the problem remaining, I pulled the intake off to check the reed valves. I also pulled the flywheel to check the timer base.

After breaking down and cleaning the carbs (again) I cleaned off the old gasket, applied a new one and installed the intake manifold and then the carbs.

With everything assembled I went to fire off the engine and it will not start. I am getting solid spark over each cylinder. The engine will consistantly backfire during the first few cranks.

I did NOT touch the linkage and have verified all three carbs throats are synchronized.

I have not yet put a timing light to it, but I am really scratching my head as to what I could have distrubed.

Am I overlooking something very simple here? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!"

"What are the compression read

"What are the compression readings of the cylinders? Spark (with plugs removed) should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! Does it?

If you did not torque the flywheel nut to 105 foot pounds, in all probability the flywheel key has sheared, effectively throwing the engine out of time. If so, clean up the flywheel and C/shaft tapers, install a new key and torque the nut as stated.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"Before I took the intake mani

"Before I took the intake manifold off and the engine was idling fine, I believe the compression was 120 - 125 - 115 (going from memory here).

I'm going to pop the flywheel off again and check the key, but I all looked good when I torgued her down.

Thanks Joe."

Some info I didnt mention earl

Some info I didnt mention earlier:

I changed the float level on each carb from 1-1/8" to 1-1/2" (Clymer lists a range of 1-1/8 - 1-5/8").

This should not affect starting though I believe.

"Yes, the electronic choke is

"Yes, the electronic choke is working and the primer bulb pumps hard.

Even with a few shots of ether the engine will not start."

"Nothing to do with your prese

"Nothing to do with your present problem but.........

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"Joe, jwbmarine you were both

"Joe, jwbmarine you were both spot on. SHeared flywheel key. Thanks!

Now it's time to link and sync. I am going to post a question about this for the Clymer's manual is a bit unclear."

"for the Clymer's manual i

"for the Clymer's manual is a bit unclear.----like another fellow said,on another site--clymers-seloc are for starting......fires.......or,..for the extreme beginner.."

"jwb, I must disagree. I find

"jwb, I must disagree. I find the Clymers and Seloc manuals very informative and helpful. I have been working on my engines for over eighteen years and would be lost without them. Are they as detailed as the OEM service manuals, no, but they are a fraction of the cost. An illustrated manual covering every major facet of an engine for $25 is good in my book!
thumbs_up.gif
"

"oh,i have my share of them...

"oh,i have my share of them...they are usually too vague for shop,technical wk,...tune ups basic info i guess they're ok."

I suppose Seloc type manuals a

I suppose Seloc type manuals are written for people who dont possess formal training in mechanics I guess there good for beginners.

As they say "horses for courses" I will stick with genuine only

Back