Logo

1999 90 hp Mercury Water Pump repair kit

roadpacker

"Hi.I have a 1999 90hp Mercury ELPTO 2 stroke outboard,SN OG 882096.Can anyone please tell me the correct Sierra part number for a Impeller Repair Kit.My 2005 Sierra Catalog shows Number 18-3213 for engine SN OA 996142 and up,with a foot note that states "Models with insulator on water pump housing bolts"I don't have a clue what that means.I have pretty much narrowed it down to 18-3213 or 18-3214.Can anyone please tell me which one for sure?Much thanks,Skip"

The insulators on the housing

The insulators on the housing bolts look like ordinary washers. If they were not there when you took it apart then just leave them out. You should be able to use 18-3214.

"Thank you very much,Tony,for

"Thank you very much,Tony,for the information and fast reply to my question.I will buy the pump tomorrow."

"I bought the Sierra Impeller

"I bought the Sierra Impeller Repair Kit #18-3214 for my 90 hp Mercury and was finally able to go to the boat and drop the Gearcase to replace the impeller.The old impeller looked great,and was still soft and flexable.I'm going to put the new impeller in,but I have a few questions that I hope one of you can help me with.The kit contains a impeller, metal impeller face plate,water pump base to gear housing gasket,water pump base to face plate gasket,face plate to waterpump cover gasket and three o rings(two are 7/8" id by i/8" thick and the other is 3/8" id by 1/16" thick.The kit does not contain the two seals that go in the bottom of the pump base,so I don't think I will remove the pump base just to use the new gasket that goes between the pump base and the gear housing unless someone tell me that I do need to replace the old gasket and buy two new seals.Also,can someone please tell me where the o-rings are supposed to go,as the Sierra Parts Catalog exploded view of the Gearcase assembly does not show the o-rings.Also,should I get a new water tube seal or clean and reuse the old one?The Clymer Manual states that the pump housing bolts should have Loctite on the threads,but I want to use anti siege to keep the bolts from becoming corroded in the holes.Bet ya'll can't tell that I have never changed an impeller in a big motor before.Any help will be appreciated.Thanks,Skip Ward"

Don't mess with the pump b

Don't mess with the pump base seals unless it is bad. Than replace the whole base if used in saltwater.

The O-Rings dont apply to the 90HP motor. That kit fits on a lot of stuff. The 3.0L V-6 has O-rings on the water pipe connections.
No anti seize here- That stuff works a little too good and the case vibrates apart.

I guess you can reuse the tube seal. The O.E kit came with a new one

Back