Logo

Pitting on prop

rmm

Regular Contributor
Noticed some pitting on just s

Noticed some pitting on just starboard prop and rudder. Prop pitting in only on the stern sides of all 3 blades and goes across the blade and about 3" down from tip.

How much is too much pitting and need to be worried or will cause performance issues?

Can this be repaired?

Where and how should I look for the cause of thisa nd can do out of water? Assuming is electrolysys and not cavitation.

"If you suspect galvanic corro

"If you suspect galvanic corrosion, it will be hard to check it completely out of the water. What you can do when dry is to verify the bonding system is intact. The rest will have to be done in the water, preferrable in your slip with the normal contingent of occupants an activities.

How much is too much - hard to say. I'd take the wheel to a couple of prop shops and see if there is a consensus. The "ring test" will tell you if it is too late and the flaw is significant.

Cavitation usually shows on the low pressure (forward) side so I'd concur with your thoughts here."

"RM; Is the boat kept in the

"RM; Is the boat kept in the water with AC dockside power? Do you have a ground isolator installed? How is the affected side shaft zinc doing? Is there a suspect boat or dock kept nearer to the STB side? I hear it's possible electrical current can enter one side and exit the other. Only one side may show erosion. I don't have any personal experience there, since I keep mine at a privat dock, no AC."

"I've seen the phenomenolo

"I've seen the phenomenology DD described which is why I suggested the followup "in the water" check. You'll need a good voltmeter, a reference electrode, and some time."

Back