Logo

1964 Johnson 40hp Water Pump Kit

mre

"What is the part number for a

"What is the part number for a water pump kit and/ or the parts included? 1964 40hp Johnson, Model RKL-26R"

"Oh cool, I didn't realize

"Oh cool, I didn't realize the parts catalogs were available here, thanks.

One more question about the water pump: I got a kit that has the correct impeller, seal, plate, and cap(according to part numbers), but the impeller does not fit inside the housing. Is it supposed to? The diagram sure makes it look this way.

Housing part#312612. I couldn't find anything on this number."

"Holding the impeller housing

"Holding the impeller housing upside down in your left hand, Use your right hand to insert the impeller into the housing by turning the impeller in a counter clockwise direction. This causes the blades of the impeller to fold back properly.

A very slight bit of oil or grease in the housing helps with this procedure.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"The impeller is going to be a

"The impeller is going to be about .2" past the edge on each side if centered. With the offset of the shaft hole, the blades will have to bend enough to make up for about .4" of overhang on one side. I just want to verify that this sounds right. It seems like a lot of strain to put on the part.

Can someone also verify that the part#312612 goes to a 1964 Johnson 40hp? This is the number on the part and I can't find any info on it. Thanks!"

"That 312612 is no doubt simpl

"That 312612 is no doubt simply a casting number. OMC numbers are:

Housing: 378593 superseded up to 381576
Impeller: 378230
W/P Kit: 379775

Pictured as follows.
377086.jpg
pump

Re: "The impeller is going to be a

"The impeller is going to be about .2" past the edge on each side if centered. With the offset of the shaft hole, the blades will have to bend enough to make up for about .4" of overhang on one side. I just want to verify that this sounds right. It seems like a lot of strain to put on the part.

Can someone also verify that the part#312612 goes to a 1964 Johnson 40hp? This is the number on the part and I can't find any info on it. Thanks!"

I believe that is the part # for the Mallory (aftermarket) pump housing.

Re: "The impeller is going to be a

The correct way to install the impeller is to put the key in the shaft .---Put the impeller on the shaft.---Lower the housing and while rotating the driveshaft in the normal direction ,push the housing down.---------The impeller will seem a bit big----that is the way they are.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I was also hoping for some clarification about reassembly. The sealant (I'll be using 3M #847) goes on the bottom of the plate around the outside where it contacts the case and where the "( )" shaped supports are between the outer edge and the shaft, but nothing between the plate and the housing?

Over45 yrs I've always used either "M" Sealer or 847 on these pumps where no gaskets or o rings are used. Seen them where they wouldn't pump, took them appart and sealed them and they pumped fine.

Over45 yrs I've always used either "M" Sealer or 847 on these pumps where no gaskets or o rings are used. Seen them where they wouldn't pump, took them appart and sealed them and they pumped fine.

Interesting. Can you elaborate on where specifically you apply the sealer? That's what I'm not clear about.

Where the impeller plate meets the g/c hsg ( bottom side of plate) and where the impeller hsg contacts the impeller plate. Apply sealer to the bottom side of the impeller hsg in contact areas. This completly seals the impeller and plate to the g/c hsg. Apply sealer only to the areas where these parts contact each other when assembled.

Back