Logo

Water Pump Bolts

pirate90

"I have an older Mariner engin

"I have an older Mariner engine manufactured by Yamaha. I am in the process of changing the water pump. When I took it apart I noticed that one of the three bolts holding the pump housing in place was loose, but I did not think to much about it. When I went to reassemble the pump I found out why the bolt was loose, the upper 1/8" inch of the bolt holes appears to have been drilled out by the previous owner.

The bolt hole is deep and I can screw a bolt in without the houseing in place. However, neither the old bolts nor the new ones that came with the pump are long enough to reach the good threads. The bolts are M6-1 bolts and I simply need a longer bolt. However, the manufacturers only list bolts by part number what I need is M6-1 x 40 bolt. Does anyone know what grade of material these bolts are? The existing bolts and the bolts which came with the kit are very magnetic. Can I simply use a 316 grade stainless bolt, I do not want to create a galvonic corrosion issue between the aluminum lower unit and the wrong grade bolt. All help is greatly appreciated."

Back