Logo

Lower unit installation 1991 90 hp

vane

Regular Contributor
"I have a 1991 mercury 90 # cylinder,just put all new seals in lower unit with new water pump.I put the lower unit back in thinking it was right,I took my Wife daughter and Grandparents out today for the first time since I did the work,went to go back out from the dock and the boat was in forward,so I put it in forward thinking that was my reverse all I got was some grinding sound,So I took them out any way with just forward.LOL I made it but turning around wasn't to fun,Came home removed lower unit put shifter and lower unit in neural,same thing happened,then I tried forward on shifter and lower unit,it would not come out of forward,I'm not sure what I am doing wrong,or if maybe I didn't put lower unit together right,is there a easier way to put lower unit in were my shift linkage will be correct ,any help would be much appreciated!!Thanks in advance for any info."

"put the control in neutral, s

"put the control in neutral, spin the prop both ways, does it spin easy or does it go click click. If it clicks the shift shaft is in the wrong position. To fix it remove lower unit and put the shift shaft in neutral so the prop spins freely without turning the drive shaft. Usually you need to turn the shift shaft ccw. Reassemble making sure the prop spins freely"

"thats what I did,and when I p

"thats what I did,and when I put it in reverse it was in forward,when I put it in forward ,it clicked like it was a tooth or 2 off.I will try it again,Thanks for quick response."

"I put the lower unit in neutr

"I put the lower unit in neutral and shifter in neutral.but when I tighten the lower unit bolt up and the linkage goes into its spine ,the lower unit is not in neutral any more .Ive tried it 4 times now and it happens everytime??"

"I have it to were it is in ne

"I have it to were it is in neutral ,reverse works,but forward is clicking but spinning,is there anything I could have did wrong put the lower unit back together after resealing everything,im lost here.."

Check the distance the control

Check the distance the control box lever travels between neutral to reverse and neutral to forward

You need someone spining the prop to let you know it has engaged the gear and you should have equal distance between neutral to frd and rev if not the shift cable needs adjusting

"Thank you,I think that did it

"Thank you,I think that did it,have to go test it out to see.Thanks again.
biggrin.gif
"

"My reverse is my forward and

"My reverse is my forward and my forward is my reverse,I have reverse if the boat is out of the water,but in the water it just grinds,if I open the hood a push the shift cable end it pops into reverse,but if I throttle it up it pops out,my question is why is the shifter working backwards ,and why doesn't the shift cable ,shift it all the way into reverse."

"Ouch,the shift cam is differe

"Ouch,the shift cam is different on the top and bottom,and just to make sure I no what the shift cam is ,is the little piece on the end of the shift rode ,so that means I have to remove everything in the prop shaft housing to get to it,way in the furthest part of the housing.."

"Thank you Noah for the info ,

"Thank you Noah for the info ,just flipped it over,seen the difference on the two sides,haven't put lower unit on boat yet its a little dark now LOL ,but Im sure my forward and reverse will be in the right area now,hope reverse will engage all the way now,will let ya no tomorrow,Thanks again for everyone's help.
wink.gif
"

"WOO HOO IT IS WORKING NOW,JUS

"WOO HOO IT IS WORKING NOW,JUST WANT TO SAY THANK YOU TO EVERYONE,AND THIS SITE IS GREAT TO HAVE..YOU ALL HAVE SAVED ME SO MUCH MONEY THAT i DON'T HAVE.LOL I LEARNED ALOT FROM DOING THIS MYSELF ALSO THANKS AGAIN i CAN'T SAY IT ENOUGH..
proud.gif
"

Back