Logo

Closed Cooling

paul_rodgers

Regular Contributor
I know this is kinda off track

I know this is kinda off track but I am interested in putting a closed cooling system on my boat as it will be used in salt water all the time. Any ideals or does anybody got one laying around (for sale) if not I guess I can look on internet!! Thanks

"Is this the 415 hp Cat engine

"Is this the 415 hp Cat engine, or the 380 hp John Deere engine?
happy.gif

You do not mention engine, but I assume the 7.4 MPI 454 cid?????

The problem is often the salt water rust scale becoming dislodged and eventually settling in the E/G/h2o side of the H/E tube bundle. (the sea water side is accessible... not the E/G side)
That is your first hurdle that could cause issues down the road.
Doable???... yes, just be ware and keep an eye on temp!
Maybe even pull the H/E and clean it out after X amount of run time.

."

"Yes, Ricardo you are correct,

"Yes, Ricardo you are correct, sorry about that. I sometimes I forget, I expect everybody to know what I have ha ha. 454 7.4 Litre L29 Gen VI engine.
1. I had both exhaust cleaned and tested, Ok!!
Had Riser replaced, I just ran for about one hour for a test in salt water, will that be too long. Or should I just wait another few years until the next rebuild?"

Everything thing is clean as o

Everything thing is clean as of now but will it make a difference or be too much trouble? Reference previos post. thanks
Paul

If this motor was used more th

If this motor was used more then one year in saltwater it's too late.

Maybe it's not what you wanted to hear but it's the truth.

"It is doable, but you will ne

"It is doable, but you will need to be vigilant in keeping an eye on the H/E.
If you were to remove it at certain intervals and chemically clean the E/G side of the tube bundle, dump it upside down.... flush, etc, you may be OK.
Do this several times within the first year of use.
Catch what comes out and see what level of contamination is occuring!

."

"Ayuh,... The Problem with th

"Ayuh,... The Problem with that is trying to Clean, the Uncleanable side..."

"Bondo, yes..... a difficult s

"Bondo, yes..... a difficult side to clean, I agree! And I'd much rather see a full flow and serviceable "screen" incorporated into the coolant return path! Since designing and fitting one is a challenge, I believe that removal and flushing of some method would likely work!
The rust scale should eventually dimenish."

"Ayuh,... Or just wait it out

"Ayuh,... Or just wait it out til the next motor is installed..."

Ricardo - they have had coolan

Ricardo - they have had coolant filters on diesels for years....NAPA even has kits. I doubt it would be difficult to plumb one into the closed side of most marine engines.

"my motor is a 85 never had on

"my motor is a 85 never had one, lived in saltwater all it's life.

I flush it after every use, oh it has the original mani also.

I know you'all are gonna jump on me, just pointing out a fact here.

If the motor had one from the factory then i would say maintain it, but to install one naa my own personal opinion is all."

"[b]"Ricardo - they have h

""Ricardo - they have had coolant filters on diesels for years....NAPA even has kits. I doubt it would be difficult to plumb one into the closed side of most marine engines."
The diesel coolant filtration is a by-pass filter system.
What is needed for this 7.4L engine, is a full flow screen of sorts to capture debris making it's way to the tube bundle.
Like said, it may serve it's purpose after X amount of hours. Then it could be removed.

I have a screen system design prototype in my shop. I've spoken to Brad at SJE about this for their retro-fit H/E's. He agreed good idea, but showed no interest after having spoken to their attorneys. Liability issues due to potential user error!
What occurs next, is that the owner's new H/E becomes clogged up. No liability for SJE! "

"If there is so much contamina

"If there is so much contamination that you need a full flow filter, then there's little value in converting to a closed system.

I'd be surprised if the bypass system isn't adequate for a conversion on an engine in reasonable shape."

"I feel that I have missed my

"I feel that I have missed my window of opportunity, I had the engine completly redone and everything inside was clean including the exhaust and risers, but like I said earlier I tested my rebuild out in the Gulf. Boat is too big to take it out of water everytime so I keep it at the Marina in a slip. I will install one on the next engine rebuild!! I have the old girl for ten years and this past year is the only Salt water it has seen. I might have gone on for another ten years if I had known a little more about the engine and it's workings. Ie... Flappers and of course what to do. (over the last six or seven months I have come to respect the people on this forum. Most of the time they hit the problem with a little probing. I am no expert by no means but with your help I did get it done and I am happy with results. That being said "A big Thanks is in order" Paul"

My brother boats in the Gulf o

My brother boats in the Gulf out of Houston. My suggestion; i know you didn't ask " outboards ".

"[b]Quote: "If there is so

"Quote: "If there is so much contamination that you need a full flow filter, then there's little value in converting to a closed system."

Not necessarily! The debris will/should (no guarantee) diminish after X amount of run time! At least diminish from an amount that would cause more risk to the H/E tube bundle.
Like said, the H/E can be periodically removed and cleaned, of which I'd recommend!

Quote: "I'd be surprised if the bypass system isn't adequate for a conversion on an engine in reasonable shape."

It may very well be adequate if the tube bundle could be periodically drained as a supliment to the "by-pass" filtration, I suppose......., much like a radiator can be drained.
No one knows for certain the potential for dislodged debris! It may be minimal..... it may be severe!
If salt water, and engine temps were such that it created salt crystallization, then there may be little debris.

Break open an old freeze cracked salt water engine block sometime...... you'll be amazed at what you see."

"And the anti-freeze will it &

"And the anti-freeze will it " gel " when it runs thru the block and comes in contact with the salt?

And if it does " gel " What will it do to the cooling capacity of the anti-freeze.

How does one stop this " gel " from forming, if the motor was run in saltwater before the fresh water unit is installed.

Just asking."

"re: "my motor is a 85 nev

"re: "my motor is a 85 never had one, lived in saltwater all it's life.
I flush it after every use, oh it has the original mani also.
I know you'all are gonna jump on me, just pointing out a fact here.
If the motor had one from the factory then i would say maintain it, but to install one naa my own personal opinion is all."

No.. I'm not going to jump on you. Several years ago my wife and I bought a 1969 Chriscraft Lancer that had spent all its life in salt water, raw water cooled. The owner had installed a fresh water flush and was compulsive about using it. When we bought it in 2004, it ran like a top, but no longer had its original elbows/manifolds. We replaced the engine with a new FWC 350CID Merc in 2006 with thru hull filter wedge water pickup and flush port. Still flush the system on a regular basis to prolong the life of the elbows, mostly.
FWC had another often overlooked benefit. In salt water the T'stats in raw water systems are limited to 140 degrees, which is not really warm enough to keep an engine "happy". My FWC system runs at 180 degrees. Running at the higher temp gives better fuel economy as well as allowing the oil to get to its design temp (and purging moisture)."

"Contrary to popular belief, t

"Contrary to popular belief, the purpose of a T'stat is to make sure the engine runs warm enough and not over cool."

"[b]Popular belief? Who's

"Popular belief? Who's belief?......
uhoh.gif

biggrin.gif

I agree, Robert.... the stat's job is to hold back coolant and "release" on an "As Needed" basis as temperature dictates!"

"Thats for another thread, i s

"Thats for another thread, i should never have brought it up, i know alot of guys who run without a t-stat."

"Chiefalen, don't let it b

"Chiefalen, don't let it bother you we all do things that makes us happy with our equipment. I am a good Electrical person but mechanical comes natural and I am learning everytime I do something.<font color=""0000ff"">
happy.gif
</font>"

"Chief, yes... I agree with Pa

"Chief, yes... I agree with Paul.

And I hope that my comment did not upset you. No offense intended!
It was in guest for the most part, even while I must remain convicted to the thought of using a thermostat!

."

Back