Logo

Push rod

tandlb

"I have a 1984 Sea Ray 270 Sea

"I have a 1984 Sea Ray 270 Seadancer with twin 350 crusader engines. On my last trip I could not get my starboard engine past 2500 RPM, did new plugs, wires,coil,... pulled valve cover off starboard front cylinder intake push rod was missing. What could happen to cause this?"

"Certainly this is unusual but

"Certainly this is unusual but I would believe it or remnants of it are still there SOMEWHERE...Can you get a bright thin light and look into the hole where it used to be? If that is empty, you may need to look into the lifter valley and that would require you to pull the intake manifold...I am sure it just did not disappear. Maybe it broke and fell down into the valley.

Of course numerous horror stories come to mind but before getting to that point, rule out something more obvious."

"Must 'of made some noise.

"Must 'of made some noise. Causes: Is the valve stuck open? Also, Is the rocker arm nut in a similar position to the other intake rocker nuts?"

"A collapsed lifter or a ruste

"A collapsed lifter or a rusted valve (that sticks open) will allow hte push rod to jump out of its socket in the lifter and drop down into the valley. A slipping vaalve adjustment nut can also cause this by opening up the lash excessively.

You need to make SURE the valve is operating smoothly, and that the adjuster isn't slipping.

Jeff"

Thaqnks I'll check them wh

Thaqnks I'll check them when I pull the manifold. I hope all i need to do is replace the rod and adj.the rocker arm.

"Jeff, I remember when I had m

"Jeff, I remember when I had my top end problems, when you asked that I see if the valves were free by tapping them, I remember tapping the valve and it STAYING DOWN as if it were a nail in a 2 x4 !"

Back