Logo

Suzuki DT85 Shift Rod Question

"Hi Everyone. My nearly 25 ye

"Hi Everyone. My nearly 25 year old Suzuki outboard has been a great trouble free motor. I am attempting to change the impeller myself for the first time. I have a Clymer Book but is vague when it comes to disconnecting the shift rod, the only access I can see is the very top connection below the carbs. If that is where I disconnect it how on earth do I reach it?
Thank You
Steve"

the shift rod is slined and it

the shift rod is slined and it should just drop right out with the lower unit-nothing to unhook.

"OK, Thanks, I checked, there

"OK, Thanks, I checked, there is nothing but a cross arm through a bell crank type of lever, all I had to do was loosen the bell crank retainer nut, tap the shaft back a little withdrawing the bell crank from the eyelet in the end of the shift rod and the rod was free and I was able to drop the gear case, real easy.
Steve"

Hello Steverinomeister.
I have the same problem, on my DT85-1984, all the screws and bolts of the gear case are removed, and the case felt only two centimeters! I don't see "the bell crank retainer nut", you are talking about. Can explain you to me with details ( a drawing or a picture should be a good method!) I have the repair manual, but as you said, it isn't clear!
Thanks for an answer.
Best regards alasterix

Hello Steverinomeister.
I have the same problem, on my DT85-1984, all the screws and bolts of the gear case are removed, and the case felt only two centimeters! I don't see "the bell crank retainer nut", you are talking about. Can explain you to me with details ( a drawing or a picture should be a good method!) I have the repair manual, but as you said, it isn't clear!
Thanks for an answer.
Best regards alasterix

Look through the hole in the starboard side of the lower engine cover. There may be a rubber plug in the hole.

same as my 1998 DT 65,take that bung out,disconnect the short gear change rod from the cable shifter,then undo the nut holding the arm that rod was connected to,then push the shaft that the nut came off,thru the plastic support housing,until it disconnects from the g/box gearshift rod.bobs your aunty

Back