Logo

Windlass installation

wlw209

I am installing a windlass in

I am installing a windlass in my Gibson houseboat this spring. I have an ample locker in the bow and was wondering if it would be easier and cheaper to install a dedicated battrey and charger instead of 40 plus feet of battery cable. I have plenty of room and the only disadvantage would be the weight. Any thoughts?

You will still need to run cab

You will still need to run cable to charge the battery won't you? I would bite the bullet and run the cable.

"The windlass will appreciate

"The windlass will appreciate its power source as close as possible. Voltage drop thru the cable will be minimal with shorter cable (properly sized).

As Paul noted, you will still need to run a feed for the charger. I would think the charging current would be much less than the operating current so smaller (and cheaper & lighter) leads would suffice.

You'll also have to run the control leads (unless they have wireless now) so some of the work to run leads is inevitable.

Two other things to consider: that weight may alter the boats trim. With a 40 ft run, this isn't small but you may want to use some ballast to make sure the results are satisfactory. The other item is to ensure you have adequate ventilation for the area you plan to install the battery bank in. The charging process can create hydrogen and we know that can be as dangerous a fuel vapor."

"The locker is absolutely huge

"The locker is absolutely huge, I can walk around it. The 110volt panel is on the other side of the bulkhead for the locker so supplying the charger should be relatively easy. I'm thinking that 120 feet of marinebattery cable will be more expensive than a bettery/battery box and charger. I think I could do a clean job with the area afforded. The locker is 14 by 6 with a hatch. Do I need more ventialtion than the rope drop hole? I can't see the bow from the bridge, so I was going to use either deck switches or a remote."

"Bill, The weight of a battery

"Bill, The weight of a battery and charger is most likely of no real issue on a 40 footer. Too bad the run is so dang long, because what this does is add yet one more system to your boat!

One of the beauties of a Windlass is the Hands Free function that a properly installed Windlass can offer.
I'd do what you could to make this operational from your bridge while you can be right at the controls and helm wheel.
This allows you to back down during/after deployment..... and to move FWD during retrieval.
Very valuable, IMO!

If that means a remote.... then I'd do it! (foot switches are a must also, IMO)"

"Thanks for the feeback. Like

"Thanks for the feeback. Like I said , I would need to install a camera to see the bow because of the duckbill on the Gibson. That may be an option in the future but for now the windlass will give my wife the ability to deploy and retrieve the anchor while I'm on the bridge."

I would add some ventilation b

I would add some ventilation beyond just the line's opening in the deck. You may find those solar powered devices ideal for this need.

"Mark, a battery suitable for

"Mark, a battery suitable for Windlass loads will require a good and heavy charge to maintain good battery health. Much like a cranking battery bank!
Solar panels generally offer very little charge rate..... and are more in line with a trickle charge rate!
Just an FYI on that!"

i think mark was talking about

i think mark was talking about those solar powered vents...? I have always been curious about those!!

Yes - the sun powered fans.

Yes - the sun powered fans.

I put one in the head's hatch when we started chartering.....only bad part was the one I got didn't have the battery to run it when the sun went down.

Sorry Mark! I misinterpreted t

Sorry Mark! I misinterpreted that as though it was a suggestion for charging the windlass battery!

no need to apologize....figure

no need to apologize....figured somebody else would administer the 'poke' on that one...didn't have to wait long.

"I have found battery cable at

"I have found battery cable at a reasonable price. What AWG for a 40 foot run. 1, 2 4 or 6?"

"depends upon how much current

"depends upon how much current needs to be delivered and what voltage drop you are comfortable with.....

Is the 40 ft one way or two way? (in other words, are you planning to order two 50 ft rolls?)"

"I have one of the solar power

"I have one of the solar powered passive chargers and it works fantastic. That might do the trick perfectly. My bilge had been killing my battery at the time, after installing charger, never arrived to dead battery again."

"I have narrowed it down betwe

"I have narrowed it down between a Good, Maxwell and Lewmar. I'd like a vertical. I'm waiting on a price from Good. Defnder has the Rc-800 for 699 and I probably would have to go with a Pro 1000 from Lewmar (there vericals in my size are just too expensive). Any suggestions or preferences?"

Back