Logo

275 leg exhaust flapper

I was running my boat on the t

I was running my boat on the trailer and noticed that the rubber exhaust flapper on the leg broke off.Can or should I run the boat without it?

"I'd not run without a fla

"I'd not run without a flapper.

Depending on which engine, you may have a flapper within the exhaust bellows.... however, the flapper on the exhaust outlet is superior!
I'd replace it!

If V-8 (as you give no engine info... unless this is re; your AQ131A ) I'd not want the bellows flapper. Too restrictive, IMO.... and I would remove it!

Keep a good flapper on the outlet and you will be fine!

."

Rick - on my disassembly my 1977 280 drive had a flapper in the exhaust bellows (350 Chevy SB). Could I get by with just the outdrive flapper? I need one of these (outdrive flapper) also and know a newer one may have to be modified to fit as the original is no longer made?
Thanks
Jay

Jay, the 280 exhaust flapper was a factory option only.... it was never available as a replacement part over the counter. However, a 290 flapper (with the SS plates) can be modified and made to work. The 290 flapper will split in the center, whereas the original 280 was one piece and was molded to fit the hump in the outlet. The hump must now be ground flat.
Layout for the rivet holes is the only critical part.

Other than that, it works well.

Back