Logo

Rated HP rating

jramirez

"Was at boat show here locally

"Was at boat show here locally and was talking to salesman about re-power. I wanna change by 48spl for new 60, 70 or 90 E-tec. What I was told that Evinrude rates horses from motor and Suzuki rates hp at prop. Was trying to sell new 60 with big gear case. This is going on a '96 16' 6' bay boat-BayMaster. What's the diff? Is he right?"

"i dont believe that would be

"i dont believe that would be correct,..they should all be rated at prop now..i imagine this to be a salesman trick."

I believe that Suzuki was the

I believe that Suzuki was the fist to rate at the prop but I also believe they all are done that way now

"[i]What I was told that Evinr

"What I was told that Evinrude rates horses from motor

Evinrudes have been rated by the prop shaft power since I think 1983.
The standard is INCOMIA 28/83

See

ICOMIA28-83"

"I agree that the standard did

"I agree that the standard did come out in 1983 for all manufactures to adhere to. But the manufactures had a few years to do so. As an example, the omc 70hp 3 cyl from 84 and older could not produce 70hp at 5500rpm at the prop (62HP) even with carb mods, so to rectifiy this problem and meet the standards the 3 cyl block had to be changed, the diameter of the piston was increased and the stroke remained the same, in order to meet the 70HP at the prop at 5500RPM's. This makes the early to mid 80's questionable for HP rating, could be either at the flywheel or at the prop."

if a salesman lies to me he is

if a salesman lies to me he is history....if i really want the facts i try to get to the guys in the shop.....and there is a right way and a wrong way to approach them...i know going in that they know more than i do as a start...i also know that people like to help people....so i state my question and shut the hell up...works for me...good luck....

"Back around 1962, I was watch

"Back around 1962, I was watching a OMC film in the shop featuring the electramatic 40hp Johnson and one of the advertising selling points stressed was that the horsepower was rated at the propeller.

Now, if that feature was ever changed for some reason, I'd really like to see the oficial bulletin to avoid a possible misquote.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back