Logo

Prep of new engine block 1989 8 hp

barato

Contributing Member
"my '89 8hp Rude (e8RCEC)needed new slugs & an overbore. oversize pistons plus boring were about same $ as stock size pistons and new cylinder block/crankcase, so i went with latter. my Q is what i should do to prep the block before assembly. built plenty of 4 stroke car and bike motors but never a 2 stroke outboard.

i know i need to scrub it out good with stiff bristle brush and detergent, & paint bare alum exterior surfaces (to be used in salt water so this ain't just cosmetic). should i take some emery cloth and try to smooth the edges of the ports where they enter the cylinder bore before i wash it? no burrs, but the edges seem pretty sharp.

appreciate any input from anyone who's done this before. thanks!"

"no need to worry about the po

"no need to worry about the ports,but burrs anywhere,yes...rinse it well,...blow dry thoroughly,immediately oil cylinders lightly w/mtr oil/2 strk oil...i use oil moderately during assembly as well."

"OK, thanks. i appreciate you

"OK, thanks. i appreciate your time; not sure how you find time to answer all these Qs. shoot me a line if you'll ever be through El Paso and i'll take you to the best Mexican restaurant in the county, 300 yds from my house.
happy.gif
"

"i have alot of 'bored&#39

"i have alot of 'bored' time....sounds good,..but i'm afraid i dont make it there......now,if u want some great BBQ.....come on down.."

Back